This week’s blog is looking at our Accommodation Guarantee, the different standards of room available for 2017/18 and the various contract lengths which are available for students:
The Accommodation Guarantee
Applications for new and deferred students open on Monday 10 April 2017 for all undergraduates and International postgraduate students with a firm offer for a University of Exeter course. If you meet our accommodation guarantee and apply before the deadline of 31 July 2017 you will be guaranteed a bed space. Please note that applications are not dealt with on a first come, first served basis and allocations to residences are processed randomly.
What accommodation is guaranteed?
Many people assume that all University of Exeter accommodation is on campus, however, this is not the case because 75% of our accommodation is on campus and 25% of it is off campus. Please note that we are only able to guarantee students a bed space which means that we are unable to guarantee whether students will be offered an on/off campus location. We will provide more information on this in the coming weeks.
Types of room available
- Standard rooms – these are our lowest priced rooms and within this accommodation type, students share the kitchen and bathroom facilities, however a sink is provided within rooms. Please note that within catered accommodation 50% of the standard rooms available are twin occupancy where you would be sharing with another student who shares similar interests to you. If you are an undergraduate student and you apply for one of these rooms then there is a 50% chance you will be allocated to a twin room.
- En-Suite rooms – students share the communal kitchen/lounge area and have their own en-suite within their room. Please note that the communal areas mentioned are only available within self-catered residences.
- Studios – these are available in self-catered residences only and offer independent living. They provide students with an en-suite, double bed and kitchenette area within their room.
All catered residences have contract lengths of 32 weeks (term time only) and the dates for 2017/18 are from Sunday 17 September 2017 – Saturday 16 June 2018. Catered students are required to vacate at both the Christmas and Easter vacation periods and in some instances belongings need to be cleared from the rooms during these times also. If a student needs to stay on campus during the vacation periods then a self-catered room may be available for the duration.
Students within self-catered residences are able to remain in their accommodation for the full length of the contract. There are four different contract lengths attached to different residences, so please ensure you check our website before completing your application. The contract lengths are:
- 40 weeks – dates are from Sunday 17 September 2017 until Saturday 23 June 2018
- 42 weeks – available from Sunday 17 September 2017 until Saturday 7 July 2018
- 44 weeks – available from Sunday 17 September 2017 until Saturday 21 July 2018
- 51 weeks – available from Sunday 17 September 2017 until Saturday 8 September 2018 (favoured by postgraduate students)
Next week we have a guest blog being written by two of our current students providing information on living within self-catered and catered residences and their experiences.