Today we explain about room numbers, help you with planning your arrival, point you towards Freshers’ Week events and clarify when you will need to pay your accommodation fees. Phew! Grab that cuppa…!
Seeing your room number when you register?
The online registration system opens for undergraduate students later this week and we understand some of you may be starting to see a provisional room number noted against your term time address. Please note that these room numbers are all subject to change until you actually arrive with us and receive your room key. Your residence and block will remain unchanged.
What do I need to bring?
Our dedicated Arrival’s and Freshers’ webpage provides information about what you need to bring and what needs to be done prior to your arrival with us. Please ensure that you look at the ‘what to bring checklist‘ for our suggestions on what is required to see you through your first night. If you are thinking of ordering a kitchen, bedroom or bathroom pack through UniKitOut then these packs can be delivered to your accommodation reception in time for your arrival. Because you will not have your room number confirmed until you arrive, we recommend that you include your nine digit Student ID number and provide your residence block and address. This information can be found on each individual self-catered or catered residence page and will be delivered and held at the reception until you arrive with us.
Arrivals weekend events through the Residence Life Team
Our fantastic Residence Life Team have a number of events planned over the Arrivals Weekend and into Freshers’ Week. These are a great opportunity for you to get to know your new flat mates in a fun, relaxed environment.
Events being planned include:
- The return of our Hall Quiz – the Residence Life team will take a tour of the campus and bring the quiz to your hall. The winning team will be rewarded with each team member receiving an £10.00 voucher.
- A shopping or sightseeing trip to Cardiff – we will take you by coach to the capital of Wales, for you to have time to enjoy the entertainment of Cardiff Bay, lots of quality shopping areas and interesting architecture.
- Our ‘Spooktactular’ Halloween pumpkin carving competition – see all of the entries lit by candle lights on the Forum steps and join us for hot chocolate while the judges make their choice.
- New for this year – the launch of our Cookery School. Join our team of chefs to learn to make some main course and dessert dishes. Learn some amazing skills whilst making some delicious food to sample after the session.
These events are available to all resident students including those within our nominated residences. If you are in a nominated residence then do check with your provider as to what exciting events they have planned too. You’ll be spoilt for choice!
Freshers’ Events through the Students’ Guild
Now is a great time to take a look at some of the official Freshers’ events being offered by our Students’ Guild Team.
It is an introduction to all aspects of university life. An opportunity to get to know your university and its surroundings, find out about your course and what’s involved in studying, explore and try the university’s many societies and services, as well as meet and make new friends.
When do I need to think about paying my accommodation fees for Residences whose contracts are issued by the University ?
Your accommodation fees are shown within your accommodation account and are available when you accept your offer. The accommodation fee is paid in three termly instalments and are due at the beginning of the academic year in full, or on the following instalment dates:
- Autumn Term (Term 1) – 7 October 2019
- Spring Term (Term 2) – 13 January 2020
- Summer Term (Term 3) – 4 May 2020
- Vacation (Term 4 – 51 week contracts only) – 22 June 2020
What about accommodation fees for Residences whose contracts are issued by one of our partners?
Please note that payment dates may vary for students who are allocated to one of our nominated residences and there may also be a requirement for a deposit and/or advanced rent payment to be made to secure your booking. These students will receive their accommodation fee information from that residence directly. Please see the ‘other’ tab within our residence reception webpage for their contact information.
Accommodation Office availability
The Team will be available to answer your queries between 9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday this week on 0300 555 0444.