Good morning everyone!
We hope that you all had a lovely bank holiday weekend and are getting excited to arrive.
A few of you are asking questions about ready to move to University is a very exciting time! However, it can be a bit confusing when it comes to planning what you need to pack. In today’s blog we will have a look at ideas of what you should bring with you and what you won’t need or should leave at home.
What your room includes:
Our webpages for each residence will give you more detail about what exactly your room will include. However, each residence will have the following:
- Bed, mattress, wardrobe, desk and chair.
Whilst the individual residences will differ in appearance and the type of room will affect the kitchen/, this is the general set up for the majority of our accommodation. We do not encourage you to bring any furniture with you and you may be asked to remove any unapproved items. You should bring:
- Your own bedding! This is very important. Please remember that we do not provide bedding (except for a mattress cover). This is something that you will need to bring or buy in readiness for your first night. We do not recommend buying fitted sheets.
- If you’re in a self-catered residence you will need your own cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery. (We do not have induction hobs in any of our residences)
- Clothes and shoes
- Toiletries and Healthcare Items
- Important documents e.g Passport, Birth certificate (You never know when you may need these!)
- Personal items such as photographs, soft toys and objects with sentimental value are great to bring and will help you to make the room yours.
Where can I buy items?
There are a number of shops and supermarkets in the city to purchase items once here. We have shops including: Wilko, Ikea, Argos , Debenhams and John lewis amongst many others in the city centre for bedding/uni items etc. We also have a variety supermarkets – Sainsburys, Tesco, Iceland, Waitrose and Morrisons. See the Visit Exeter webpage for further information.
There is no need to try to bring everything. We advise you to pack lightly! Try to focus on personal things that can’t be bought in the shops. You can stock up on everything else later.
Ordering Items Online
We do not recommend that you purchase items online and send to your reception prior to your arrival. This is due to storage within your residence reception being limited during this time.
The exception to the rule is if you purchase bedding, kitchen and bathroom items through UniKitOut. These are sent close to your arrival and will be held at your residence reception waiting for you when you arrive.
Once you are settled into your residence and term has started, you’re welcome to have items delivered.
Changing your email address
Many of you have been asking how to change your email address. Unfortunately the accommodation office are unable to do this. Your student data feeds to us directly through UCAS. So you will need to log in to UCAS in order to make any changes.
We hope that today’s blog has given you an idea of what you will need. There are many resources across the web with extensive lists of what to bring to University so please do take a look!