BSc Business student secures Supplier Relationship Management Internship with Cornwall Council

James-Kettlewell (002)

A BSc Business student has secured a placement researching supplier relationship management (SRM) at Cornwall Council. SRM refers to strategic planning and management of all interaction with third party organisations that supply goods or services to a given organisation.

“The aim of the project with Cornwall Council was to research whether a robust and proportional supplier relationship management programme could be used by the Council to build stronger relationships with their suppliers and drive value for money”, said intern, James Kettlewell.

In this role, James undertook a literature review on the many approaches to supplier relationship management, as well as interviewing different businesses who had already established a supplier relationship management process. James presented his findings in a final report, which he presented along with his key findings to senior officers at the Council.

“I decided to apply for the internship as it provided me with the exciting opportunity to work with the largest employer in Cornwall. The internship was challenging, requiring me to become specialised in a whole new subject area beyond what I had learnt in lectures. However, the Council were extremely flexible, so that I could fit my work experience around my studies. ”

“The work experience module that the BSc Business course offers allowed me to take skills and knowledge that I had learnt in the classroom and apply them to a real work environment. In addition, I learnt many new skills and subsequently I feel more comfortable about applying for and succeeding in my first job once I leave university.”

The project that James undertook for us as part of his BSc Business has helped to steer the Council’s approach to Supplier Relationship Management. We were particularly impressed with how quickly he picked up a new and complex subject area. The report he provided at the end of his placement was informative, concise and of a very high quality.
Kieran Topping, Service Director (Commercial), Cornwall Council

Work placements are a unique feature of the BSc Business programme. The course aims to provide students with the necessary skills for employment after graduation.

You may also like...