Meet BSc Business Student Emily Ford

Business_School_rgb

“The content of the course, Exeter’s strong reputation and all the extra-curricular activities we have access to, are putting me in a great position to find the sort of role I am looking for.”

“It was part-way through my application process to the University of Exeter Business School that I found out I’d be studying business at Penryn in Cornwall. But it was only once I’d arrived and found my bearings that I realised the number of advantages it offers as a place to study business.

The BSc Business programme is relatively small, with just 36 students on the first year of the course, which means we have access to many extra opportunities we wouldn’t get at other universities. There are lots of business networking events happening locally, and everyone on the course is invited to them, rather than just a handful of students – so I am getting the chance to mix with business people and get that valuable first-hand insight into business life, alongside my wide-ranging business studies.

The employability aspect of the programme is embedded into the structure, so we get to go on placements every year, as well as completing a Business Practice and Analysis module in our first year, where we look at things like writing our CV and covering letters. I think it’s great to have exposure to those things so early on, so we can get into that mindset early and get a head start on thinking about our careers.

We have our own dedicated employability adviser as well, who organises networking events and helps us with getting our placements – so there’s a lot of focused support to help you become more employable, including career mentors from external organisations, who are helping us with things like interview techniques.

Being part of a smaller campus also means being exposed to more extra-curricular opportunities and greater responsibility, if you want it to develop your wider skills. Even as a first year, I’ve been given the chance to become a project leader with the Enactus Society, so I’m setting up my own employability project with local schools, working with A Level students who are unsure about what they want to do next.

I am hoping to get a position in business management or management consulting later, ideally with an international organisation. The content of the course, Exeter’s strong reputation and all the extra-curricular activities we have access to, are putting me in a great position to find the sort of role I am looking for.

My advice would be to get involved in as much as you can, right from the start – and don’t be put off by the fact that this is a smaller campus, as the facilities are great, the opportunities are plentiful, and there is the extra bonus of being in a beautiful part of the country with great beaches and all the activities that come with being in Cornwall.”