Meet Student Mai Nguyen Thi Phuong

Business_School_rgb

Studying a business degree at the University of Exeter Business School campus in Penryn is proving to be an inspirational experience for first year student Mai.

“The business degree at Penryn is highly practical in nature, so everything we are learning is focused on topics we will need when we go into our careers in the future.

In our Business and Society module, we have the opportunity to meet directly with business people from the region, to talk to them about their companies and how they manage their operations. Having this direct contact is really beneficial – and the sustainability focus that runs through the programme is also very interesting and relevant to the way we need to do business today.

I am enjoying many of my modules. My favourite is probably Marketing in the Digital Age, as it’s so up to date and is all about social media and the impact of those platforms on companies’ marketing strategies.

Our lecturers bring in lots of case studies to their teaching, and we have interesting tutorial discussions, which help a lot with understanding the theories we are learning and seeing their application to the real world.

Alongside all the business knowledge we are gaining, we are given many opportunities to develop our transferable skills – as well as focused career support, with sessions to help prepare our CVs and get ready for interviews.

As an international student, I thought I might be homesick or lonely, but that’s not been a problem so far. I am the only Vietnamese student on the programme but I have so many international friends now, many of whom I’ve met through the International Society events and socials. We also share the campus with University of Falmouth students, so there is a vibrant mix of people with different interests and backgrounds, and everyone is so welcoming. People are very ambitious too, and clear about their future plans, and that inspires me to want to push myself and do well.

If I could sum up what Penryn was like, I would say it’s a very different and unique kind of place – with lots of calm to be able to get on with your studies; many clubs, societies and sports clubs locally; and also plenty going on in Falmouth, including wonderful seafood restaurants, just a 14-minute bus ride away. For me, it’s an environment that has everything I need and I’m really looking forward to what the next three years will bring.”