Meet BSc Student Rees Hope

Business_School_rgb

For Rees, studying business on the Penryn Campus is giving him the best of both worlds – a fantastic learning experience and also the chance to spend time in one of the UK’s most beautiful environments.

“After spending a year at another university and deciding it wasn’t for me, I decided Penryn was the place I wanted to come to study business. I’m from a small village in Wales, so I wasn’t phased by coming somewhere outside of a city environment, and Cornwall is a beautiful place, so I was excited about having the chance to spend some proper time here.

I’m a few months into my university experience, and I can honestly say that the programme is second to none. As well as all the usual business subjects you’d expect, there’s a sustainability focus running through the programme, which adds an interesting extra element.

We also get a lot of opportunities to interact with business professionals in different fields. I’ve already taken part in a ‘hot choc and chat’ evening where I got to meet with local business professionals and gain valuable insights from them. We went to a holiday park as a cohort as well, and because there’s a relatively small number of students on the programme, it was a great chance to get to know everyone.

Alongside the teaching, there’s a lot of focused careers support that I wasn’t expecting. Pretty much as soon as we arrived, we had the option to meet with our Employability Adviser, Sam Tilley. She’s there solely to support the students on the BSc Business programme, which means the support she gives is very tailored and she’s available to meet one to one whenever we want.

Sam’s already been helping me approach companies like Google, which is somewhere I would love to work on placement. We get to do work experience as an integral part of the programme as well, and Sam will be helping us arrange placements with third sector companies in our first year and with any organisation in the following years.

Of course, the other big attraction for studying here is the beautiful coastal environment and I’m making sure I take advantage of that as much as I can. I go surfing and walking on the beach, and there’s a lot on the doorstep in terms of places to discover and activities to get involved in. It may be a quieter campus than some, but we’re only a 14-minute bus journey from Falmouth, and there’s a lot going on there to give you a good social life.

All in all, it’s a great place to come and study, and I’m very happy with my decision to come here. I already know I’m going to enjoy the next three years and that I’ll be leaving with lots of knowledge and contacts to get my business career off to the best start.”