Olivia, Education, Teaching and Research

Olivia, a Geography student, wanted to gain insight into the teaching sector and thereby begin to develop the relevant skills for this profession. Through the Career Mentor Scheme, Olivia was matched with a Geography Co-Ordinator for KS3 and KS4 at Gravesend Grammar School. Through this mentor’s role, he coordinates the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, monitors student progress and develops schemes of work.

Advice that was specifically tailored to me”

Olivia achieved all of her objectives including increased her knowledge of the career by conducting a careers mentor interview, received academic support and increased knowledge of finding internships and work experience in this sector.

Olivia shared her experience:

What were the highlights of the scheme?

The scheme was very beneficial to me, especially in helping me to gain information about many different ways into teaching and my careers mentor helped me a lot by providing many resources on this.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

Insight into my chosen profession and resources to help me into this. Also advice that was specifically tailored to me rather than just general advice about the sector.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

The career mentor scheme is hugely beneficial in giving students the chance to get one to one advice from a professional that has been in their position.