Sarah, Charity and Development Work

Sarah, an Animal Behaviour student, was interested in a career in the Charitable Sector after volunteering for multiple charitable organisations. She wanted to learn more about the specific fields that are available in her specialism. Through the Career Mentor Scheme, Sarah was matched with the Volunteering Development Manager for Children’s Hospice Association Scotland. This mentor also has a Managing Voluntary and Community Organisations foundation degree and vast employment history in this sector.

“For as little as one skype session per month you learn so much about life outside university!”

Sarah achieved all of her objectives including increased confidence and knowledge into this sector, increased knowledge of good and bad aspects of the profession and received help to improve her CV.

Sarah shared her experience:

What were the highlights of the scheme?

I have really enjoyed being part of the career mentor scheme. My overall highlight was the opportunity to connect with someone who was knowledgeable about the sector I am interested in. Through this I now feel a lot more confident in my ability to find and apply for a job.

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

An insight into what employers look for in an application form. I have gained tips on how to clearly put my skills forward. Through this I now feel more confident when applying for jobs.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

Definitely go for it! The great thing about this scheme is that it fits around your timetable. For as little as one skype session per month you learn so much about life outside university! I have gained so much from the scheme, and would encourage anyone to participate.