The Initial Reflections of a Graduate Business Partner

Walking to campus this morning was a strange experience, I was not walking to a lecture or to the Northcott Theatre. I was not a student anymore and I had a new purpose.  As my first day as Project Assistant comes to a close I have a few reflections that I would like to share.

This morning, as I walked into the Education Enhancement office I was met by a maze of corridors, desks and the occasional microwave. Was I walking in the right direction? I was not entirely sure.  After an official tour around, the maze seemed less like a maze and it became clear that the Laver Building was full of friendly, approachable people who didn’t mind being interrupted to be introduced to the new GBP.

Office exploration over, it was time for a meeting in which I quickly realized there was a lot to catch up on. I have joined the project half way through which is an exciting stage to do so as I am able to see the progress that has already been made from an external viewpoint.  Initial ideas from the beginning of the project have matured and Collaborate is now in the midst of integrating its model for evaluating and deigning new assessments.  I look forward to immersing myself in this and contributing to keeping the momentum going.

My first day was surprisingly varied and I was able spend some time observing the use of the new surface tables located in the Forum. This was a great introduction to my placement as I was able to see new technologies used alongside learning and talk to students about their experiences with them.  I am curious to see what impact the tables will have over the coming months and what part they will play in assessment.