Quality Assurance

My name is Ruth O’Neale and I’m a IT Progamme Manager here at the University of Exeter, responsible for a number of projects of which CRIATE is one.  My role in the project is quality assurance, giving Sam and his project team day to day support but also acting as a critical friend and ensuring that the project is managed in the most effective way possible and in line with our University project governance and that of JISC.  I am keen that however possible project documentation is streamlined so no long onerous reports are produced and that we can easily keep JISC and internal stakeholders up to date on our progress  by using the same information but presented in the different templates required.

The project team are making good use of basecamp, an online collaboration website where we can share project information/documentation and this is a much more efficient way of sharing and maintaining project logs (risks, issues) etc rather than these being shared via email or on shared drives, especially as the project team is made up of individuals from various services (IT, Marketing, Faculty Office, Colleges).  It also alerts our basecamp members when updates are made so they are prompted to go and check the latest information.

A key success factor for our project is effective engagement with staff in the Colleges who have been maintaining their own separate databases up until now. Ensuring we communicate with them appropriately and in a timely way will be really important for our project.  As I’m delivering several projects across the University I may be aware of other factors outside of CRIATE which may impact on it and I see a role for myself in recognising these and in working with Sam  to mitigate any impact.  From a personal point of view like Sam I am relatively new to the University and to working in HE and I’m really enjoying working on the project and engaging with other institutions on the wider programme.