Project Update

Workflow with the Faculty Office

At the beginning of the week Cat, Sam and I met with Kate and Samantha from the faculty office. We were looking through stage 1 of the workflow which we had previously mapped out at the beginning of the year.  This meeting was very successful in working out what notifications faculty wanted and when they wanted them. It also helped to check the workflow was correct and what needed modifying. It was additionally decided that the faculty office would get their notifications within iPaMS rather than to a central faculty email. We currently still working on the workflow diagram and will be meeting with other departments to discuss their involvement in the workflow.

Lauren Welland (Project Support Officer)


Programmes

We have started to look at how programmes will be stored within iPaMS and which pieces of information we will need to hold against each specific programme.  The functionality of iPaMS has been a major consideration here as information from the programme specification will be used as a marketing tool for prospective students and as an information source for current students, it will hold all of the information required to comply with TQA and QAA standards and be worded in a way that will easily link in with the XCRI- CAP data feed.  Information imputed as a part of the workflow process for approving new programmes will also be archived against each specific programme, as will any changes made to the programme and the date in which these take effect.  Currently we have identified over 100 data entry fields for each programme; once we have established the level of data exchange between SITS and iPaMS this number could increase further.

Cat Hine (Project Support Officer)


User Roles

This week I have been working on assigning roles to users. I have first been creating different roles and permissions within iPaMS. Using Zend navigation I can hide/show relevant links dependent on the permissions these roles have. Some examples of roles will be system administrator, Webservice role and developer. I am also working on restricting view of data by College, to do this we are currently assigning all modules to their College. At the moment every iPaMS user has access to all the data in iPaMS, once we start moving other Colleges into the system we don’t want them to have access to edit other College’s data.

Ben Norcombe (Developer)


Code Improvement

I am currently rewriting the iPaMS module controllers. This builds on the work we did for the previous release of iPaMS to improve the codebase. That work was mainly about reducing the amount of SQL queries per page/action, whereas this time it is about cutting down on code repetition, thus creating reusable functions. The benefits will be that the iPaMS code is easier to maintain as well as more scaleable, setting us up nicely for work to begin on Programmes

Helen Connole (Lead Developer)


CLES Data

This week I have been working on collecting the CLES data needed for archiving into iPaMS. With help from the College we have collected a vast amount of word/pfd documents for their modules ranging from the academic years 08/09- 11/12. On Wednesday Sam, Cat and I met up with Andy, the Taught Programme Support Manager for CLES and discussed iPaMS. It was a very successful meeting where we showed iPaMS in action and discussed the move of CLES data onto the system.  As CLES’ data is all on word/pdf, a move to the database should help them significantly with reporting information and having easier access to their data.

Lauren Welland (Project Support Officer)


Skip to toolbar