Posts Tagged ‘XCRI’

Our Event At The Forum

No Comments »

We are very excited to present the Forum for the location of our Marketing Courses with XCRI-CAP event. We hope not only to provide a very exciting day but, as mentioned in our schedule, we will also be providing an optional tour of the beautiful Forum building.

The Forum is the University’s stunning £48 million centrepiece for the Streatham Campus providing a new Student Services Centre, improved learning spaces, library, retail and catering facilities. We hope you can join us to enjoy the new assembly space that the Forum provides and we look forward to seeing those who have already registered very soon!

XCRI-CAP Quick Update

No Comments »

We recently had a meeting with our project team to discuss our progress with the XCRI-CAP mapping. It was important for us to finalise the fields that we will be feeding, enabling us to finish building our programme template in iPaMS. We found there were a few fields that didn’t quite map up between iPaMS and XCRI. An example of this was firstly the study mode field. In iPaMS we were holding a “modular” option whereas in XCRI there was an option titled “flexible”. We felt it was important to try and match up any of these inconsistencies to help make the feeding process as easy as possible. We have now changed our “modular” option to “flexible”.

Another field we discussed was the “assessment” field. Within iPaMS we hold a lot of data regarding assessment details, however, in this meeting we decided we would use our Marketing assessment field for the XCRI feed. This would be the same assessment information that would feed to our website, giving more concise information regarding the assessment. We also highlighted in this meeting that we needed to include not just the abbreviated version of the qualifications but also the full versions, such as Bachelor of Arts.

There were also a few fields we were unsure about, such as the “type” field held in XCRI. We weren’t sure exactly what information we could use for this field. The XCRI information explained that the “type” was for a grouping of similar courses in terms of target audience. We were therefore unsure whether to group them by discipline or by UG/PG. We contacted Alan Paull and he was very helpful in answering our questions. He explained that they have not published a classification or vocabulary for this element, except for CPD courses, so we could leave this element from our feed if we wanted. Alan also explained they were open to suggestions to how this might be handled. Has anyone else included this element in their feed, if so, let us know what information you are including.

After ironing out some of these issues we organised a meeting with the Marketing department for next week to go through our spreadsheet and talk further about XCRI. It is a very important aspect of this project and with the help from Marketing, it will allow us to market our programmes in the best way possible.

Once we have had our meeting with Marketing and finished updating our XCRI spreadsheet, we will pop it on the blog for you to all see. We look forward to finding out how everyone else has mapped their data so please send us links to your blogs.

JISC Coursedata-tech Day


Myself and Ben Norcombe attended the JISC #coursedata day in London on 20th June. It was an enjoyable and informative day, I always seem to go to London on the warmest day of the year, but thankfully the venue was conveniently located next to Paddington Station so no uncomfortable trips on the Underground at rush hour were necessary!

The day got underway with an overview of XCRI-CAP feed by Rob Engelbright. Having spent a bit of time looking in depth at this we were already familiar with the structure. I was also able to ask Rob about whether our yearly programme descriptor in iPaMS mapped fairly closely to the <presentation> element in XCRI-CAP, and he felt that it did, which is nice to know.

Next followed a demo of the validator by Craig Hawker, again it was something we were familiar with, and as validation tools go it is nice and user friendly, with helpful messages to let you know if something needs changing. We may well have to revisit some of the formats we have chosen for programme descriptor items and see if they match well with XCRI-CAP, and if not look at how we can improve this. Craig mentioned that correct ordering of XCRI-CAP was required by the validator, but is not actually part of the spec, so I don’t know whether that means it is important or not? Maybe a question for JISC…

We then looked at the Aggregator and other tools which will/could utilise XCRI-CAP. It was interesting to see the potential of these and I’m sure something we will be revisiting in the future. If someone writes something useful for Moodle that certainly may be of interest to the University.

There was plenty of time for chatting throughout the day and that was useful, especially to meet people who have some of the same IT systems as we do, such as SITS and T4, and hear about ways in which they were planning to utilise these. Loughborough have certainly done some very clever things with T4 and though I don’t think it would suit our particular project it was interesting to see the possibilities.

The day finished at a civilised hour and we were back on the train with some useful information and a bunch of new people to follow on Twitter, so all in all a productive day.

Helen Connole – CRIATE Lead Developer

Skip to toolbar