This page contains an informal collection of titles, and notes or slides (whenever notes were made available) from our recent reading groups and internal seminars and discussions.
- 28 Jan: Jan Sieber, Non-invasive control and the strong law of large numbers in a random SIS network [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 4 Feb: Peter Ashwin, Excitable Networks in Continuous Time Recurrent Neural Networks [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 11 Feb: Joe Clarke, TBA [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 18 Feb: Lea Oljaca, TBA [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 25 Feb: Pezhman Ebrahimzadeh (Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany), TBA [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 4 Mar: Julian Newman, TBA [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
in the past
- 21 Jan: Adrian Tzs Yan Leung (University of Reading), Why is there a finite predictability barrier for the atmosphere? [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 14 Jan: Giulia Carigi (University of Reading), Ergodic properties of a stochastic two-layer model of geophysical fluid dynamics [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 17 Dec: Manuel Santos (University of Reading), Response and Sensitivity Using Markov Chains [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 10 Dec: Roman Borisyuk, Visual system and AI neural networks [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 3 Dec: Dario Cortese, Modelling helical swimming dynamics in chiral microswimmers [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 26 Nov: Gabor Drotos (IFISC, Spain), Climate change seen through the pullback attractor of an Earth system model: a case study [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 19 Nov: Jen Creaser, Global dynamics of a periodically forced 2-dimensional circadian pacemaker model [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 12 Nov: James Rankin, Granular attractor dynamics in networks for perceptual decision making [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 5 Nov: Pietro Verzelli, Learning Dynamical Systems Using Dynamical Systems [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 29 Oct: Daniele Proverbio, Critical Transitions in cell dynamics [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 22 Oct: Roman Borisyuk, Neural Networks: From Neurobiology to AI [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 23 Jul: Camille Poignard, Self-Induced Synchronization by time delay [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
- 9 Jul: Max Voit (Jacobs University Bremen, Germany), Coupled simple heteroclinic cycles. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 2 Jul: Joel Tabak-Sznajder, How noise shapes the dynamics of electrically active endocrine cells. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 25 Jun: Tanja Zerenner, Harmonic Cross-correlation Decomposition for Multivariate Time Series. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 11 Jun: Lea Oljaca, Stability of the optimal nonlinear filter in uniformly hyperbolic dynamical systems [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 7 May: Alexey Korepanov, Concentration inequalities in non-stationary chaotic deterministic dynamical systems. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM]. Slides
- 9 Apr: Bonnie Liefting, Beyond Synchronisation Engineering [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- Friday 3 Apr: Julian Newman, Restrictedly invariant measures [13:30-14:30 ZOOM]. Slides
- 26 Mar: Andrea Ferrario, Auditory streaming emerges from fast excitation and slow delayed inhibition [13:30-14:30 ZOOM]. Slides
- 12 Dec: Andrea Ceni, Multistability in input-driven recurrent neural networks [13:30-14:30 in Peter Chalk 2.5]. Slides
- 14 Nov: Jan Sieber, Problems when computing linear stability numerically in differential equations with delay [13:30-14:30 in Amory B218]. Notes
- 31 Oct: Julian Newman, Topological conjugacy of i.i.d. iteration of random circle homeomorphisms III [13:30-14:30 in Peter Chalk 2.5]. Notes III
- 24 Oct: Julian Newman, Topological conjugacy of i.i.d. iteration of random circle homeomorphisms II [13:30-14:30 in Harrison 171]. Notes II
- 10 Oct: Julian Newman, Topological conjugacy of i.i.d. iteration of random circle homeomorphisms I [13:30-14:30 in Peter Chalk 2.5]. Notes I
- 18 Sep (Wednesday): Courtney Quinn (CSIRO, Hobart, Australia), Reduced Space Strongly Coupled Data Assimilation for Chaotic Multiscale Systems [14:30-15:30 in H209].
- 28 Mar: Bonnie Liefting, Kuramoto Model with added White Noise [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 21 Mar: Zhi Zhang, Delayed feedback control of grazing-induced multistability in an impacting system [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 14 Mar: Ibrahim Alraddadi, Forced Nonlinear Oscillator Models [13:30-14:30 in H215].
- 07 Mar: Camille Poignard, The effects of Structural Perturbations on the Dynamics of Networks [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 06 Mar (Wednesday): Ale Jan Homburg (UvAmsterdam), Asymptotics for a class of iterated random cubic operators (motivated by models for evolution of frequencies of genetic types in populations) [16:00-17:00 in H107].
- 28 Feb: Marinho Lopes, Distinct dynamical behavior in Erdos–Renyi networks, regular random networks, ring lattices, and all-to-all neuronal networks [13:30-14:30 in H203].
- 22 Feb (Friday): Oleh Omel’chenko (U Potsdam), Traveling chimera states [11:30-12:30 in H203].
- 14, 21 Feb: Pedro Peres, Existence of non-trivial embeddings of Interval Exchange Transformations into Piecewise Isometries [13:30-14:30 in H203 (Feb 14) and H209 (Feb 21)].
- 07 Feb: Mark Holland, Recurrence properties of intermittent systems [13:30-14:30 in WSL 234].
- 31 Jan: Tanja Zerenner, Graph theoretical analysis of climate data [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 17 Jan: Juho Leppänen (University of Paris 6), Normal approximation for time-dependent dynamical systems by Stein’s method [13:30-14:30 in H209]
- 14 Dec (Friday): Chandrakala Meena (Bar Ilan), Stability and control mechanisms in complex dynamical networks [15:30-16:30 in H215]
- 13 Dec: Alexey Korepanov, Statistical properties of nearby quadratic maps on short time scale [13:30-14:30 in H209]
- 03 Dec: (rescheduled to Mar 21, 2019) Zhi Zhang, TBA [13:30-14:30 in TBA].
- 15 Nov: Chen Chris Gong (U Potsdam), Repulsively Coupled Kuramoto-Sakaguchi Phase Oscillators Ensemble Subject to Common Noise [13:30-14:30 in Physics 124].
- 08 Nov: Jan Sieber, A sudden transition in a forced system as non-smooth saddle-node of invariant curves [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 25 Oct: Karl Nyman (U Copenhagen), Bifurcation of critical manifolds and relaxation oscillations in singular slow-fast systems [13:30-14:30 in H203].
- 18 Oct: Jen Creaser, A network modelling approach to EEG microstates [13:30-14:30 in H106].
- 11 Oct: Bert Wuyts, Modelling of tropical vegetation dynamics via reaction-diffusion equations with spatially heterogeneous forcing [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 27 Sept: Hassan Alkhayuon, Weak tracking for nonautonomous Rössler system [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 20 Sept: Mark Callaway, Random dynamics of pitchfork bifurcations with additive noise [13:30-14:30 in H106].
- 17 May: Lamees Felemban, Coupled oscillator models for orientation dynamics [13:30-14:30 in H215].
- 10 May: Swinda Falkena (University of Utrecht), Derivation of a Delay Model for the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation [13:30-14:30 in H215].
- 03 May: Vadim N. Biktashev, St. Petersburg paradox for quasiperiodically hypermeandering spiral waves [12:30-13:30 in H215].
- 19 Apr: Peter Ashwin, Some things about heteroclinic networks [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 29 Mar: Jan Sieber, Spectrum of periodic orbits in delay equations with large delays [15:30-16:30 in H203].
- 22 Mar: Harun Baldemir, A mathematical study of complex oscillatory behaviour in an excitable cell model [13:30-14:30 in H170].
- 15 Mar: Alexey Korepanov, Strong approximation by Brownian motion in deterministic dynamical systems [13:30-14:30 in H101].
- 08 Mar: Douglas Coates, Semistable laws for finite measure preserving intermittent interval maps [15:30-16:30 in H203].
- 01 Mar: Rescheduled; campus closure due to snow.
- 22 Feb: Chris Bick, Frequency synchrony and chaos in small oscillator networks [13:30-14:30 in H101].
- 08 Feb: Sofia Castro (Porto), Dynamics of Learning in Game Theory.
- 25 Jan: Pedro Peres, Embeddings of Interval Exchange Transformations into Planar Piecewise Isometries.
- 18 Jan: Ilias Panagiotopoulos (Rostock), Contol-based Continuation of Pedestrian Flows.
- 21 Nov: Yiwei Zhang (Huazhong University of Science and Technology), Understanding physical mixing processes via transfer operator approach.
- 03 Nov: Özkan Karabacak, Almost Global Stability and Lyapunov Measure.
- 27 Oct: Christopher Marcotte, An introduction to PDE continuation problems.
- 20 Oct: Jen Creaser, An introduction to numerical continuation with AUTO. (slides)
- 11 Oct: Hannah Kreczak, Rates of chaotic mixing: models of fluid devices with discontinuities.
- 14 Jun: Mary Thoubaan, Symmetry and Synchrony in six coupled oscillators.
- 10 May: Usman Mirza, Sudden social-ecological changes with rising inequality.
- 3 May: Gabriela Depetri, Breathing Hamiltonian chains: Non-ergodicity as a trigger for non-trivial heat propagation.
- 05 Apr: Oskar Weinberger, Semigroups and hidden symmetries in coupled cell networks.
- 15, 22 Mar: Ana Rodrigues, On the topological and fair entropy of maps of an interval.
- 08 Mar: Douglas Coates, Toward new limit theorems in dynamical systems.
- 22 Feb, 1 Mar: Jan Sieber, Convergence results for equation-free analysis.
- 08 Feb: Harry Green, Atrial Fibrillation: A Mathematical Model to Improve the Reliability of Intracardiac ECG Signals During Therapy.
- 01 Feb: Abdullah Aldurayhim, Exact analytical propagating front in a polynomial reaction diffusion system.
- 07 Dec: James Rankin, Pattern formation in a neural field model of visual cortex.
- 30 Nov: Courtney Quinn, Palaeoclimate Dynamics Modelled with Delay Differential Equations.
- 16 Nov: Burhan Bezekci, Strength-Duration Relationship in an Excitable Medium.
- 09 Nov: Hassan Alkhayuon, R-tipping from periodic orbits.
- 02 Nov: Jennifer Creaser, Modelling noise-induced escape problems in networks.
- 22, 29 Jun: Tomas Stary, Asymptotic analysis of Markov chain ion channel models
- 27 May: Khurram Wadee, Buckling of a plate on a foundation: spot and stripe formation in elastic layers supported by substrates (Paper).
- 14 Mar: Congping Lin, modelling spatially coordinated diffusive and long-range transport of organelles in an elongated cell.
- 15 Feb, 7 Mar: Dalia Terhesiu, Some aspects of renewal theory for Markov chains.
- 22 Feb: Peter Ashwin, Defining Chaos. (Paper)
- 18, 25 Jan, 01 Feb: Mark Holland, Statistical properties of extremes in chaotic dynamical systems
- 03 Dec: Peter Rashkov, Emergence of drug resistance in cancer from the perspective of ecological competition
- 12, 19, 26 Nov: Paul Ritchie, Optimal Paths: Revisited (slides)
- 21, 29 Oct: Pedro Peres, A one-dimensional dynamics approach to hyperbolic boundary value problems
- 07, 14 Oct: Jan Sieber, Time-delayed feedback (notes, pdf)
- (cancelled)16 June: Marc Goodfellow, Network structure, seizure dynamics and treatment for epilepsy
- 09 June: Peter Rashkov, Modelling regulation of cell polarity in Myxococcus xanthus
- 02 June: Christian Bick, Dynamics of Asynchronous Networks
- 28 May: Harun Baldemir, Complex Calcium(Ca+2) Oscillation Patterns in Immature Inner Hair Cells
- 12 May: Sara Alokley, Extremes in Chaotic Maps and Financial Returns Data
- 05 May: Paul Ritchie, Interactions Between Noise and Rate-Induced Tipping (slides)
- 24 March: Harry Green, A Dynamic Model of Pulmonary Vein Electrophysiology (slides)
- 17 March: Yiwei Zhang, Ergodic optimization of prevalent super-continuous functions
- 10 March: Mark Williamson, Detection of bifurcations in noisy coupled systems from multiple time series, Part II
- 03 March: Mark Williamson, Detection of bifurcations in noisy coupled systems from multiple time series, Part I
- 26 Feb: Alexander Lohse, Existence and stability of elementary heteroclinic networks in R4 (slides)
- 24 Feb: Stephanie Zegowitz, Closed orbits in quotient systems (cont’d)
- 17 Feb: Stephanie Zegowitz, Closed orbits in quotient systems (slides)
- 10 Feb: Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for a riddled basin for a piecewise linear map (cont’d)
- 03 Feb: Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for a riddled basin for a piecewise linear map (slides)
- 27 Jan: Peter Rashkov, Self-Organisation in Reaction-Diffusion Systems (cont’d)
- 22 Jan: Peter Rashkov, Self-Organisation in Reaction-Diffusion Systems (slides)
- 09 Dec: Ildar Sadreev, A Systems Model of Phosphorylation for Inflammatory Signaling
- 02 Dec: Vadim Bikashev, Mini school cont’d on Spiral Waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations in two space dimensions
- 25 Nov: Colin Torney, Information use and collective decisions in social systems
- 11, 18 Nov: Vadim Bikashev, Mini school on Spiral Waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations in two space dimensions, based onV.N. Biktashev, A.V. Holden, Resonant drift of autowave vortices in 2D and the effects of boundaries and inhomogeneities, Chaos, Solitons and Fractals 5(3,4): 575-622, 1995
- 14, 21, 28 Oct, 4 Nov: Vadim Bikashev, Mini school on Travelling waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations in one space dimension based on
Y. Kuramoto, Instability and Turbulence of Wavefronts in Reaction-Diffusion Systems, Prog. Theor. Phys. 63(6):1885-1903, 1980
- 07 Oct: Peter Ashwin, The Mid-Pleistocene transition as a generic bifurcation on a slow manifold
- 11 June: Alef Sterk, Predictability of extreme values in geophysical models
- 04 June: Mahar Saeed, Modeling sensory neuron Kv7.2/3 and Nav1.7 channel dynamics using
- 27 May: Burhan Bezekci, Analytical Approach to Initiation of Excitation Fronts, Part II (slides)
- 21 May: Burhan Bezekci, Analytical Approach to Initiation of Excitation Fronts, Part I
- 14 May: Paul Ritchie, Most likely paths (slides)
- 07 May: Tomas Stary, Dynamical Properties of Markov Chain Cardiac Ion Channel, part 2 (slides for both parts)
- 06 May: Claire Postlethwaite (University of Auckland), Heteroclinic Networks: stability, switching and memory (slides)
- 27 Mar: Nandor Terkovics (University of Bristol), Substructuring a Nose Landing Gear-Fuselage System (slides)
- 25 Mar, Peter Ashwin, A definition of chimera state for indistinguishable oscillator networks?
- 18 Mar, Clare Perryman, Rate-Induced Bifurcations: Can We Adapt to a Changing Environment? Part II (slides)
- 11 Mar, Clare Perryman, Rate-Induced Bifurcations: Can We Adapt to a Changing Environment? (slides)
- 04 Mar, Tomas Stary, Markov chain ion channel models, part 1
- 25 Feb: Congpin Lin, Endoplasmic Reticulum as minimal-length Euclidean Steiner network, Part II (slides for both parts)
- 18 Feb: Congpin Lin, Endoplasmic Reticulum as minimal-length Euclidean Steiner network
- 11 Feb: Arno Steinacher, Signal processing in cells: the role of duplications
- 03 Feb: Helmut Schmidt, Network-driven synchronisation of phase-coupled oscillators, Part II (slides for both parts)
- 28 Jan: Helmut Schmidt, Network-driven synchronisation of phase-coupled oscillators, Part I
- 16 Jan: Yiwei Zhang, A glimpse in thermodynamics formalism
- 11 Dec (I): Atiquah Ummu Mohd-Roslan, (cont’d) Computation of periodic points for baker’s map and their averages
- 11 Dec (II):George Petkov, (cont’d) Multiple oscillatory states in models of collective neuronal dynamics, stability, and the role of connections(networks)
- 04 Dec: Krasimira Tsaneva-Atansova, Bifurcation analysis of coordinated movement dynamics Notes, part 1, Notes, part 2 (pdf)
- 26 Nov: Atiquah Ummu Mohd-Roslan, Computation of periodic points for baker’s map and their averages
- 19 Nov: Jan Sieber, (cont’d) Differential equations with state-dependent delays Notes (pdf)
- 12 Nov: Marc Goodfellow, Intermittent state transitions in network models of epilepsy
- 05 Nov: Arianna Marchionne, Troels Bøgeholm (Univ. Copenhagen, Denmark), Duffing’s Equation: properties and applications in climate modelling
- 29 Oct: Jan Sieber, Differential equations with state-dependent delays Notes (pdf)
- 22 Oct: George Petkov, Multiple oscillatory states in models of collective neuronal dynamics, stability, and the role of connections(networks) Notes (pdf)
- 15 Oct: Varun Kothamachu, Phosphorelays and Two Component Signalling Networks: Ubiquitous signalling architectures
- 18 June: Sara Alokley, On record statistics and its application to financial mathematics
- 04 June: Mark Holland, Extreme events in dynamical systems II Notes (pdf)
- 29 May: Mark Holland, Extreme events in dynamical systems I
- 21 May: Ummu Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for chaotically driven concave maps III, Notes (pdf)
- 14 May (I): Clare Hobbs, Rate-induced tipping,
- 14 May (II): Ummu Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for chaotically driven concave maps II
- 26 Mar: Ummu Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for chaotically driven concave maps I
- 05 Mar: Leo Luecken (HU Berlin), Emergence of two-cluster states in systems of globally pulse-coupled oscillators
- 19 Feb: Leo Luecken (HU Berlin), Reduction of transmission delays in coupled systems
Discussion of systems with S1 symmetry
- 19 Mar 2013: Jan Sieber, Bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1 symmetry II Notes (pdf),
- 12 Feb 2013: Jan Sieber, Bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1 symmetry I Notes (pdf), Summary(pdf)
- 11 Dec 2012: Sebastian Wieczorek, Some thoughts on bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1symmetry II, Notes (pdf)
- 04 Dec 2012: Sebastian Wieczorek, Some thoughts on bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1symmetry I
- 13 Nov 2012: Peter Ashwin, Thoughts on symmetries and stabilities for pattern-formation on infinite domains
- 18 Dec: Hans Dierckx (Ghent University, Belgium), A curved-space description for the dynamics of excitation waves in the heart
- 23 Nov: Andrew Roberts (UNC), Searching for Mixed-mode Oscillations in a Simple Energy Balance Model.
- 02 Nov: Clare Hobbs, How fast is too fast – towards a better understanding of rate dependent tipping
- 23 Oct: Vadim Biktashev, Symmetries and perturbations of spiral waves II
- 16 Oct: Vadim Biktashev, Symmetries and perturbations of spiral waves I
- 12 Oct: Jan Sieber, Differential equations with delay – characteristic matrices
- 05 Oct: Oleksandr Burylko, Study of Bifurcations and Competition in Phase Oscillator Network with Positive and Negative Couplings
- 28 Sep: Jan Sieber, Differential equations with delay – characteristic matrices Notes (pdf)