This page contains an informal collection of titles, and notes or slides (whenever notes were made available) from our recent reading groups and internal seminars and discussions.
Please ask Bonnie Liefting if you have a suggestion for a seminar.
- 23 Jul: Camille Poignard, Self-Induced Synchronization by time delay [13:30-14:30 on Zoom].
in the past
- 9 Jul: Max Voit (Jacobs University Bremen, Germany), Coupled simple heteroclinic cycles. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 2 Jul: Joel Tabak-Sznajder, How noise shapes the dynamics of electrically active endocrine cells. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 25 Jun: Tanja Zerenner, Harmonic Cross-correlation Decomposition for Multivariate Time Series. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 11 Jun: Lea Oljaca, Stability of the optimal nonlinear filter in uniformly hyperbolic dynamical systems [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- 7 May: Alexey Korepanov, Concentration inequalities in non-stationary chaotic deterministic dynamical systems. [13:30-14:30 ZOOM]. Slides
- 9 Apr: Bonnie Liefting, Beyond Synchronisation Engineering [13:30-14:30 ZOOM].
- Friday 3 Apr: Julian Newman, Restrictedly invariant measures [13:30-14:30 ZOOM]. Slides
- 26 Mar: Andrea Ferrario, Auditory streaming emerges from fast excitation and slow delayed inhibition [13:30-14:30 ZOOM]. Slides
- 12 Dec: Andrea Ceni, Multistability in input-driven recurrent neural networks [13:30-14:30 in Peter Chalk 2.5]. Slides
- 14 Nov: Jan Sieber, Problems when computing linear stability numerically in differential equations with delay [13:30-14:30 in Amory B218]. Notes
- 31 Oct: Julian Newman, Topological conjugacy of i.i.d. iteration of random circle homeomorphisms III [13:30-14:30 in Peter Chalk 2.5]. Notes III
- 24 Oct: Julian Newman, Topological conjugacy of i.i.d. iteration of random circle homeomorphisms II [13:30-14:30 in Harrison 171]. Notes II
- 10 Oct: Julian Newman, Topological conjugacy of i.i.d. iteration of random circle homeomorphisms I [13:30-14:30 in Peter Chalk 2.5]. Notes I
- 18 Sep (Wednesday): Courtney Quinn (CSIRO, Hobart, Australia), Reduced Space Strongly Coupled Data Assimilation for Chaotic Multiscale Systems [14:30-15:30 in H209].
- 28 Mar: Bonnie Liefting, Kuramoto Model with added White Noise [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 21 Mar: Zhi Zhang, Delayed feedback control of grazing-induced multistability in an impacting system [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 14 Mar: Ibrahim Alraddadi, Forced Nonlinear Oscillator Models [13:30-14:30 in H215].
- 07 Mar: Camille Poignard, The effects of Structural Perturbations on the Dynamics of Networks [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 06 Mar (Wednesday): Ale Jan Homburg (UvAmsterdam), Asymptotics for a class of iterated random cubic operators (motivated by models for evolution of frequencies of genetic types in populations) [16:00-17:00 in H107].
- 28 Feb: Marinho Lopes, Distinct dynamical behavior in Erdos–Renyi networks, regular random networks, ring lattices, and all-to-all neuronal networks [13:30-14:30 in H203].
- 22 Feb (Friday): Oleh Omel’chenko (U Potsdam), Traveling chimera states [11:30-12:30 in H203].
- 14, 21 Feb: Pedro Peres, Existence of non-trivial embeddings of Interval Exchange Transformations into Piecewise Isometries [13:30-14:30 in H203 (Feb 14) and H209 (Feb 21)].
- 07 Feb: Mark Holland, Recurrence properties of intermittent systems [13:30-14:30 in WSL 234].
- 31 Jan: Tanja Zerenner, Graph theoretical analysis of climate data [13:30-14:30 in H107].
- 17 Jan: Juho Leppänen (University of Paris 6), Normal approximation for time-dependent dynamical systems by Stein’s method [13:30-14:30 in H209]
- 14 Dec (Friday): Chandrakala Meena (Bar Ilan), Stability and control mechanisms in complex dynamical networks [15:30-16:30 in H215]
- 13 Dec: Alexey Korepanov, Statistical properties of nearby quadratic maps on short time scale [13:30-14:30 in H209]
- 03 Dec: (rescheduled to Mar 21, 2019) Zhi Zhang, TBA [13:30-14:30 in TBA].
- 15 Nov: Chen Chris Gong (U Potsdam), Repulsively Coupled Kuramoto-Sakaguchi Phase Oscillators Ensemble Subject to Common Noise [13:30-14:30 in Physics 124].
- 08 Nov: Jan Sieber, A sudden transition in a forced system as non-smooth saddle-node of invariant curves [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 25 Oct: Karl Nyman (U Copenhagen), Bifurcation of critical manifolds and relaxation oscillations in singular slow-fast systems [13:30-14:30 in H203].
- 18 Oct: Jen Creaser, A network modelling approach to EEG microstates [13:30-14:30 in H106].
- 11 Oct: Bert Wuyts, Modelling of tropical vegetation dynamics via reaction-diffusion equations with spatially heterogeneous forcing [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 27 Sept: Hassan Alkhayuon, Weak tracking for nonautonomous Rössler system [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 20 Sept: Mark Callaway, Random dynamics of pitchfork bifurcations with additive noise [13:30-14:30 in H106].
- 17 May: Lamees Felemban, Coupled oscillator models for orientation dynamics [13:30-14:30 in H215].
- 10 May: Swinda Falkena (University of Utrecht), Derivation of a Delay Model for the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation [13:30-14:30 in H215].
- 03 May: Vadim N. Biktashev, St. Petersburg paradox for quasiperiodically hypermeandering spiral waves [12:30-13:30 in H215].
- 19 Apr: Peter Ashwin, Some things about heteroclinic networks [13:30-14:30 in H209].
- 29 Mar: Jan Sieber, Spectrum of periodic orbits in delay equations with large delays [15:30-16:30 in H203].
- 22 Mar: Harun Baldemir, A mathematical study of complex oscillatory behaviour in an excitable cell model [13:30-14:30 in H170].
- 15 Mar: Alexey Korepanov, Strong approximation by Brownian motion in deterministic dynamical systems [13:30-14:30 in H101].
- 08 Mar: Douglas Coates, Semistable laws for finite measure preserving intermittent interval maps [15:30-16:30 in H203].
- 01 Mar: Rescheduled; campus closure due to snow.
- 22 Feb: Chris Bick, Frequency synchrony and chaos in small oscillator networks [13:30-14:30 in H101].
- 08 Feb: Sofia Castro (Porto), Dynamics of Learning in Game Theory.
- 25 Jan: Pedro Peres, Embeddings of Interval Exchange Transformations into Planar Piecewise Isometries.
- 18 Jan: Ilias Panagiotopoulos (Rostock), Contol-based Continuation of Pedestrian Flows.
- 21 Nov: Yiwei Zhang (Huazhong University of Science and Technology), Understanding physical mixing processes via transfer operator approach.
- 03 Nov: Özkan Karabacak, Almost Global Stability and Lyapunov Measure.
- 27 Oct: Christopher Marcotte, An introduction to PDE continuation problems.
- 20 Oct: Jen Creaser, An introduction to numerical continuation with AUTO. (slides)
- 11 Oct: Hannah Kreczak, Rates of chaotic mixing: models of fluid devices with discontinuities.
- 14 Jun: Mary Thoubaan, Symmetry and Synchrony in six coupled oscillators.
- 10 May: Usman Mirza, Sudden social-ecological changes with rising inequality.
- 3 May: Gabriela Depetri, Breathing Hamiltonian chains: Non-ergodicity as a trigger for non-trivial heat propagation.
- 05 Apr: Oskar Weinberger, Semigroups and hidden symmetries in coupled cell networks.
- 15, 22 Mar: Ana Rodrigues, On the topological and fair entropy of maps of an interval.
- 08 Mar: Douglas Coates, Toward new limit theorems in dynamical systems.
- 22 Feb, 1 Mar: Jan Sieber, Convergence results for equation-free analysis.
- 08 Feb: Harry Green, Atrial Fibrillation: A Mathematical Model to Improve the Reliability of Intracardiac ECG Signals During Therapy.
- 01 Feb: Abdullah Aldurayhim, Exact analytical propagating front in a polynomial reaction diffusion system.
- 07 Dec: James Rankin, Pattern formation in a neural field model of visual cortex.
- 30 Nov: Courtney Quinn, Palaeoclimate Dynamics Modelled with Delay Differential Equations.
- 16 Nov: Burhan Bezekci, Strength-Duration Relationship in an Excitable Medium.
- 09 Nov: Hassan Alkhayuon, R-tipping from periodic orbits.
- 02 Nov: Jennifer Creaser, Modelling noise-induced escape problems in networks.
- 22, 29 Jun: Tomas Stary, Asymptotic analysis of Markov chain ion channel models
- 27 May: Khurram Wadee, Buckling of a plate on a foundation: spot and stripe formation in elastic layers supported by substrates (Paper).
- 14 Mar: Congping Lin, modelling spatially coordinated diffusive and long-range transport of organelles in an elongated cell.
- 15 Feb, 7 Mar: Dalia Terhesiu, Some aspects of renewal theory for Markov chains.
- 22 Feb: Peter Ashwin, Defining Chaos. (Paper)
- 18, 25 Jan, 01 Feb: Mark Holland, Statistical properties of extremes in chaotic dynamical systems
- 03 Dec: Peter Rashkov, Emergence of drug resistance in cancer from the perspective of ecological competition
- 12, 19, 26 Nov: Paul Ritchie, Optimal Paths: Revisited (slides)
- 21, 29 Oct: Pedro Peres, A one-dimensional dynamics approach to hyperbolic boundary value problems
- 07, 14 Oct: Jan Sieber, Time-delayed feedback (notes, pdf)
- (cancelled)16 June: Marc Goodfellow, Network structure, seizure dynamics and treatment for epilepsy
- 09 June: Peter Rashkov, Modelling regulation of cell polarity in Myxococcus xanthus
- 02 June: Christian Bick, Dynamics of Asynchronous Networks
- 28 May: Harun Baldemir, Complex Calcium(Ca+2) Oscillation Patterns in Immature Inner Hair Cells
- 12 May: Sara Alokley, Extremes in Chaotic Maps and Financial Returns Data
- 05 May: Paul Ritchie, Interactions Between Noise and Rate-Induced Tipping (slides)
- 24 March: Harry Green, A Dynamic Model of Pulmonary Vein Electrophysiology (slides)
- 17 March: Yiwei Zhang, Ergodic optimization of prevalent super-continuous functions
- 10 March: Mark Williamson, Detection of bifurcations in noisy coupled systems from multiple time series, Part II
- 03 March: Mark Williamson, Detection of bifurcations in noisy coupled systems from multiple time series, Part I
- 26 Feb: Alexander Lohse, Existence and stability of elementary heteroclinic networks in R4 (slides)
- 24 Feb: Stephanie Zegowitz, Closed orbits in quotient systems (cont’d)
- 17 Feb: Stephanie Zegowitz, Closed orbits in quotient systems (slides)
- 10 Feb: Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for a riddled basin for a piecewise linear map (cont’d)
- 03 Feb: Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for a riddled basin for a piecewise linear map (slides)
- 27 Jan: Peter Rashkov, Self-Organisation in Reaction-Diffusion Systems (cont’d)
- 22 Jan: Peter Rashkov, Self-Organisation in Reaction-Diffusion Systems (slides)
- 09 Dec: Ildar Sadreev, A Systems Model of Phosphorylation for Inflammatory Signaling
- 02 Dec: Vadim Bikashev, Mini school cont’d on Spiral Waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations in two space dimensions
- 25 Nov: Colin Torney, Information use and collective decisions in social systems
- 11, 18 Nov: Vadim Bikashev, Mini school on Spiral Waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations in two space dimensions, based onV.N. Biktashev, A.V. Holden, Resonant drift of autowave vortices in 2D and the effects of boundaries and inhomogeneities, Chaos, Solitons and Fractals 5(3,4): 575-622, 1995
- 14, 21, 28 Oct, 4 Nov: Vadim Bikashev, Mini school on Travelling waves in systems of reaction-diffusion equations in one space dimension based on
Y. Kuramoto, Instability and Turbulence of Wavefronts in Reaction-Diffusion Systems, Prog. Theor. Phys. 63(6):1885-1903, 1980
- 07 Oct: Peter Ashwin, The Mid-Pleistocene transition as a generic bifurcation on a slow manifold
- 11 June: Alef Sterk, Predictability of extreme values in geophysical models
- 04 June: Mahar Saeed, Modeling sensory neuron Kv7.2/3 and Nav1.7 channel dynamics using
- 27 May: Burhan Bezekci, Analytical Approach to Initiation of Excitation Fronts, Part II (slides)
- 21 May: Burhan Bezekci, Analytical Approach to Initiation of Excitation Fronts, Part I
- 14 May: Paul Ritchie, Most likely paths (slides)
- 07 May: Tomas Stary, Dynamical Properties of Markov Chain Cardiac Ion Channel, part 2 (slides for both parts)
- 06 May: Claire Postlethwaite (University of Auckland), Heteroclinic Networks: stability, switching and memory (slides)
- 27 Mar: Nandor Terkovics (University of Bristol), Substructuring a Nose Landing Gear-Fuselage System (slides)
- 25 Mar, Peter Ashwin, A definition of chimera state for indistinguishable oscillator networks?
- 18 Mar, Clare Perryman, Rate-Induced Bifurcations: Can We Adapt to a Changing Environment? Part II (slides)
- 11 Mar, Clare Perryman, Rate-Induced Bifurcations: Can We Adapt to a Changing Environment? (slides)
- 04 Mar, Tomas Stary, Markov chain ion channel models, part 1
- 25 Feb: Congpin Lin, Endoplasmic Reticulum as minimal-length Euclidean Steiner network, Part II (slides for both parts)
- 18 Feb: Congpin Lin, Endoplasmic Reticulum as minimal-length Euclidean Steiner network
- 11 Feb: Arno Steinacher, Signal processing in cells: the role of duplications
- 03 Feb: Helmut Schmidt, Network-driven synchronisation of phase-coupled oscillators, Part II (slides for both parts)
- 28 Jan: Helmut Schmidt, Network-driven synchronisation of phase-coupled oscillators, Part I
- 16 Jan: Yiwei Zhang, A glimpse in thermodynamics formalism
- 11 Dec (I): Atiquah Ummu Mohd-Roslan, (cont’d) Computation of periodic points for baker’s map and their averages
- 11 Dec (II):George Petkov, (cont’d) Multiple oscillatory states in models of collective neuronal dynamics, stability, and the role of connections(networks)
- 04 Dec: Krasimira Tsaneva-Atansova, Bifurcation analysis of coordinated movement dynamics Notes, part 1, Notes, part 2 (pdf)
- 26 Nov: Atiquah Ummu Mohd-Roslan, Computation of periodic points for baker’s map and their averages
- 19 Nov: Jan Sieber, (cont’d) Differential equations with state-dependent delays Notes (pdf)
- 12 Nov: Marc Goodfellow, Intermittent state transitions in network models of epilepsy
- 05 Nov: Arianna Marchionne, Troels Bøgeholm (Univ. Copenhagen, Denmark), Duffing’s Equation: properties and applications in climate modelling
- 29 Oct: Jan Sieber, Differential equations with state-dependent delays Notes (pdf)
- 22 Oct: George Petkov, Multiple oscillatory states in models of collective neuronal dynamics, stability, and the role of connections(networks) Notes (pdf)
- 15 Oct: Varun Kothamachu, Phosphorelays and Two Component Signalling Networks: Ubiquitous signalling architectures
- 18 June: Sara Alokley, On record statistics and its application to financial mathematics
- 04 June: Mark Holland, Extreme events in dynamical systems II Notes (pdf)
- 29 May: Mark Holland, Extreme events in dynamical systems I
- 21 May: Ummu Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for chaotically driven concave maps III, Notes (pdf)
- 14 May (I): Clare Hobbs, Rate-induced tipping,
- 14 May (II): Ummu Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for chaotically driven concave maps II
- 26 Mar: Ummu Atiqah Mohd Roslan, Stability index for chaotically driven concave maps I
- 05 Mar: Leo Luecken (HU Berlin), Emergence of two-cluster states in systems of globally pulse-coupled oscillators
- 19 Feb: Leo Luecken (HU Berlin), Reduction of transmission delays in coupled systems
Discussion of systems with S1 symmetry
- 19 Mar 2013: Jan Sieber, Bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1 symmetry II Notes (pdf),
- 12 Feb 2013: Jan Sieber, Bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1 symmetry I Notes (pdf), Summary(pdf)
- 11 Dec 2012: Sebastian Wieczorek, Some thoughts on bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1symmetry II, Notes (pdf)
- 04 Dec 2012: Sebastian Wieczorek, Some thoughts on bifurcation analysis for systems with continuous S1symmetry I
- 13 Nov 2012: Peter Ashwin, Thoughts on symmetries and stabilities for pattern-formation on infinite domains
- 18 Dec: Hans Dierckx (Ghent University, Belgium), A curved-space description for the dynamics of excitation waves in the heart
- 23 Nov: Andrew Roberts (UNC), Searching for Mixed-mode Oscillations in a Simple Energy Balance Model.
- 02 Nov: Clare Hobbs, How fast is too fast – towards a better understanding of rate dependent tipping
- 23 Oct: Vadim Biktashev, Symmetries and perturbations of spiral waves II
- 16 Oct: Vadim Biktashev, Symmetries and perturbations of spiral waves I
- 12 Oct: Jan Sieber, Differential equations with delay – characteristic matrices
- 05 Oct: Oleksandr Burylko, Study of Bifurcations and Competition in Phase Oscillator Network with Positive and Negative Couplings
- 28 Sep: Jan Sieber, Differential equations with delay – characteristic matrices Notes (pdf)