0

Rich Crane

Originally from rural Dorset, I spent much of my formative years roaming its beautiful countryside and Jurassic Coast. It is through such activity that I gained a deep connection with the natural environment and this has shaped my life ever since.

I joined the Camborne School of Mines in December 2017 to take up a position as Lecturer in Sustainable Mining. My research focusses on understanding how we can manipulate the chemical behaviour of metals in order to both safeguard the environmental but also to develop novel techniques for their extraction from ores and waste.

I spend much of my spare time exploring Cornwall with family, friends and our dog Ruby. Through such activity you are constantly reminded of its incredible mining history. I have been known to get a little side-tracked! I am often found hunched down and staring at the ground – which, if you know where to look, can be an absolute treasure trove of minerals and metals; each offering a unique glimpse into our past. My particular favourites are the sulphides – chalcopyrite, with its golden shine, or the beautiful (but highly toxic!) silver coloured arsenopyrite.

Here is a picture of me measuring the pH of mine water in SW Romania – another area with a very interesting mining heritage!

Richard Andrew Crane