There’s Nowhere Like Australia…
Our Facebook page has been a flutter with photos and stories from our students who spent their year abroad 2012-13 in Australia. It is always a very popular destination with our students, for obvious reasons. So we thought we’d give you a little bit more information about our partner institutions there, as well as some interesting facts you may not already know…
Top 10 Interesting Facts about Australia
1) It is the 6th largest country in the world, occupying an entire continent of some 7.6 million square kilometres.
2) Most of Australia’s exotic flora and fauna cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
3) More than 80 percent of Australians live within 100 kilometres of the coast making Australia one of the world’s most urbanised coastal dwelling populations.
4) Over 200 different languages and dialects are spoken in Australia including 45 Indigenous languages. The most common non-English spoken languages are Italian, Greek, Cantonese, Arabic, Vietnamese and Mandarin.
5) It contains an amazing ecosystem with unique flora and fauna including pristine rainforest, ancient rock formations and beautiful beaches.
6) It has 16 world heritage listed sites including historic townships, cities and landscapes.
7) Kangaroo meat can be purchased from the supermarket, butcher and is available on restaurant menus as a leaner and healthier alternative to beef or lamb with a 1-2 percent fat content.
8) Canberra was selected as the capital because Sydney and Melbourne could not stop arguing which city should be the capital of Australia.
9) Australians refer to English people as “Pome”, which is actually the acronym for Prisoners of Mother England.
10) Ugg boots or as local call them ‘very ugly boots’ are an Australian design where a sheepskin has been turned inside out and made into a boot.
Where You Could Study – Our Partner Institutions
UNSW is not just one of the best universities in Australia – it’s in the top 100 worldwide. The University is globally recognised for cutting-edge teaching, research, state-of-the-art facilities and quality of student life. This means their graduates are highly sought after by employers and amongst the highest paid in Australia.
The University of Adelaide Business School has a strong culture of excellence in research and education. With outstanding ties to research and industry, the University of Adelaide Business School provides an education that will advance your career and instill in you a passion for life-long learning.
QUT Business School are the first business school in Australia to achieve all three leading international accreditation symbols of excellence: AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), EQUIS (the accreditation body of the European Foundation for Management Development) and AMBA (The Association of MBAs). The University has an international outlook, with a student population of 40,000, including 6,800 international students from more than 100 countries.
For further information about studying in Australia, including short term opportunities over the summer, please contact the International Development Team in the Business School or message us via our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/UEBSstudyabroad