The Faculty of Business Economics, capacity group Economics, research group Environmental Economics of Hasselt University seeks a (m/f)
Tenure track Assistant Professor Environmental Economics
The Environmental Economics Research group is an international academic leader in sustainability assessments of clean technologies and valuation of ecosystem services, and a visible source of robust science-driven advice in these domains. The group focuses on addressing empirical questions with a high societal urgency, for example related to global climate change and loss of biodiversity. The group publishes in top-ranked academic journals and is represented in national and international scientific and policy advisory boards. Currently, it consists of 3 professors, 4 postdoctoral associates, 12 PhD researchers and 5 research affiliates. The complexity of environmental issues requires multidisciplinarity and the research group is therefore part of the Centre for Environmental Sciences (CMK), where it works with researchers from biology, ecology, biomedicine, chemistry and law in multidisciplinary projects.
Teaching responsibility can include courses in the field of microeconomics, environmental economics and the economics of technology within the Bachelor’s and Master’s programs of the faculty of Business Economics. The candidate also contributes to the development of the pedagogical framework.
The successful applicant will help strengthen the existing research portfolio of the Environmental Economics research group. She/he will lead economic, as well as interdisciplinary research projects with a strong empirical focus within the research group and CMK, in collaboration with scientific partners inside and outside Hasselt University. Important objectives are the realization of publications in leading academic journals, the extension of the existing research network and the supervision of doctoral students.
* Doctoral degree in applied economics, economics, environmental economics, or in another field related to the focus areas of the research group
* A high-quality research profile that fits strongly to the current scope of the research group as outlined under background, and that shows that the applicant has potential to publish in internationally recognized academic journals
* Experience to work within an interdisciplinary environment of economists and scientists/engineers
* Track record of successful grant applications, with experience in acquiring grants from Flemish, Belgian and European agencies being an advantage
* Excellent teaching, communication and organizational skills in order to provide excellent teaching in the Bachelor and Master programs of the faculty of Business Economics
* Experience in empirical modeling of systems (as opposed to modeling of specific micro-cases) and in creating relevant datasets for the domains of interest to the research group are advantages
* Experience in doctoral supervision is an advantage
* Academic staff must meet the statutory language requirements for knowledge of the language of instruction (Dutch, English). If necessary, Hasselt University offers tailored support measures to help achieve the required language level.
We will offer an appointment as a lecturer (assistant professor) in the tenure track system during 5 years. This will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer (associate professor), if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved, based on a previously defined set of grading criteria.
Preselection based on application. Interview with and test lecture/presentation by the pre-selected candidates.
You can only apply online (at https://www.uhasselt.be/vacatures_detail?taal=01&vacid=1449) up to and including 15 May 2018.
Content job responsibilities
Prof. dr. Robert MALINA, +32‑11‑268687, firstname.lastname@example.org
More about the research group: http://www.cleantecheconomics.be/