Administration and Projects Assistant – CEMPS, University of Exeter

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I worked in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences assisting the Executive Support Team in the daily administration of office duties such as responding to enquiries, maintaining the post system, filing, purchasing stationery, setting up and supporting numerous meetings.

I also took responsibility for a number of larger projects, mainly events, including two international conferences which I supported and a series of eleven Inaugural Lectures and New Staff Seminar events which I organised. I took the lead on logistics for an important research visit to Exeter by guests from the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT) and Imperial College London. I also assisted in the delivery of the College’s recent Skills X-Change Week, receiving public praise from the College Manager for my work.

In this role I also took on other responsibilities including sitting on the interview panel for an External Relations secondment opportunity in the College, and trained for and took on the role of Fire Marshall in the Harrison Building.

What would you say was your biggest achievement over the course of your internship?

I have gained a huge amount of confidence in working in a professional manner with colleagues across the College and the wider University. I gained excellent experience in project and event management and of working under pressure in a busy environment.

Specifically, the two conferences for which I provided administrative support are my most significant achievements. In particular the first of these, Graphene and Related Materials 2014, was a challenge because I was brought onto the project at the last minute to find it significantly behind in terms of organisation.

I secured a permanent position within the University after only seven months of my nine month GBP contract. This is itself a big achievement and testament to the quality of my experience during my internship.

What benefits did your internship bring to your employer?

I believe (and my manager’s feedback corroborates this) that I have been able to significantly lighten the workload of senior colleagues in the Executive Support Team, which had undergone some downsizing in the weeks before I arrived. I was able to take on projects such as the College’s Inaugural Lectures which otherwise might have been a burden on the team, and also enabled us to have the capacity to support the two conferences which otherwise may not have got that necessary help.

044