Communications Executive – Staffordshire Alliance

Marketing Internship, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

During my internship, I managed the internal communications within the organisation and created a range of content, including the newsletter, promotional materials and case study documents. I was also heavily involved in working with the local community and stakeholders to provide them with updates, attending meetings and organising local information events. My role has been very versatile so it’s hard to list all of the areas I’ve been involved in, but other responsibilities have included writing press releases and arranging media visits, giving presentations and writing award submissions, as well as additional administrative duties.

I worked to organise several events whilst in my position and one of my biggest achievements was ensuring the success of these. For one internal event, I gave a presentation but also designed and created from scratch a collaborative game for the attendees to play, which was praised by some of the managers and saved the organisation the need of hiring an external facilitator to deliver this. I also assisted with the organisation of an engagement event with a local school and created activities for the students to take part in, as well as overseeing the logistical arrangements, and very was pleased with how the day turned out and the positive feedback we received from the school.

The project was entering a very busy period when I first joined, so I provided valuable support to the Communications Manager and was able to focus on some of the internal communications processes that had not been given much attention previously and work to develop new initiatives. Additionally, due to staffing changes, I became responsible for the bulk of the communications duties for a short period, so provided much needed on-site support for all community, stakeholder and media issues for the organisation.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

Whilst I did not encounter any major problems whilst on my internship, I did at first find it difficult to fully immerse myself in the business and have the confidence to ask for information from people. However, at the end of my time there, I can definitely say I was fully involved with a lot of different departments and people across the project and gained a lot of confidence through being given significant responsibilities and working closely with a lot of the managers.

‘Victoria was excellent’ – Line Manager

012