Employability and Alumni Assistant – HUMS, University of Exeter

UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

My role was to assist in the delivery of the employability activity in Humanities, through maintaining the website, events, and communications. I also had responsibility for alumni relations in the college, covering a 12 month maternity leave. This included organising networking events and marketing materials for Humanities alumni.

I was given lots of responsibility from day one, and trusted with important projects. This was nerve-racking at first but ultimately it was amazing for my personal development. I felt that my confidence to make decisions, make my voice heard and effect change grew hugely in the first 6 months. 6 months into my GBP role, I was seconded to cover my line manager’s position of Employability Officer for 9 months, giving me more responsibility and control over what was delivered in the College. This was a fantastic opportunity and put me in an excellent position to apply for future roles at the University at a similar level.

I was able to have ownership for our It’s Never Too Late project, a careers campaign aimed at final years to engage them with employability support. This lightened the workload for other colleagues, but also I was able to grow the campaign and ensure that we were effectively engaging final years.

“My Alumni & Employability Assistant provided vital support to events, newsletters & alumni engagement” – Employability and Outreach Manager. 

greenaway