Festival Assistant – Harrogate International Festivals

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

In the office, I worked on ticket sales and other general admin: organising tickets and preparing for the next events. I also designed and arranged a programme book for our biggest festival. During the events themselves, my roles varied from looking after visiting authors in the green room to working on front of house where I made sure people had tickets and checked that everything was ready for the next talk.

I gained TRUE work experience – both in the office and out in the hectic environment of the events. I was viewed by my colleagues as a valuable, crucial team member. I particularly remember a time when we found out an interviewer wasn’t going to make it to an event a few minutes before, and so I suggested an alternative interviewer who I had spoken to previously, thus allowing the event to go on.

I did any jobs that came my way (and took initiative too), helping the festivals to thrive and consistently backing up my colleagues throughout.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

The main difficulties were with unhappy customers, who I often managed to calm down or assist in a professional, courteous manner. I am particularly proud of a customer who started out rudely but, by the end of the festival, recognised my good work and thanked me for returning her lost book to her.