Intern – National Youth Services

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I contributed to community development projects in Sri Lanka with SL volunteers; in partnership with The National Youth Services Council. The placement involved challenging situations demanding sensitivity to cross cultural communication and sensitivity. We had to adopt a mature leadership role through community teaching and social work with beneficiaries isolated through poverty.

Working abroad has shown me that I have the confidence to try new things and the ability to adapt to new surroundings. The work I was doing has helped to show that I have the mental strength and capability to work in difficult environments with often challenging situations. The most memorable part of my placement was working at the men’s special needs centre and seeing the reaction of the patients every time we arrived to run activities for them.