3D Imaging Specialist – Natural History Museum

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I was given the task of 3D printing models created using photogrammetry of Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) specimens. This involved sample preparation, image acquisition on the SEM, reconstructing models on computer software and processing them to make them printable and then using the 3D printer. I also conducted other activities such as welcoming visitors and attending seminars in the museum.

I felt able to work completely independently when my manager was absent and felt comfortable enough communicate confidently with both staff and visitors.

My work enable the department to further their photogrammetry project, and develop the 3D printing process for SEM and confocal microscope models.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

I was given a particularly difficult model to prepare for 3D printing which after a number of weeks of work I had made little progress with. However, I applied myself by logically trying different software settings in order, and in combinations, and eventually overcame the problem.