Economic Development Project Assistant – Devon County Council

Universtiy of Exeter Internships, UoE Internships, SCP, SBP, GBP, A2I

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

I provided administrative support on a range of projects managed by the team such as funding schemes and live projects. My daily activities included developing forms, drafting press releases, liaising with applicants to funding schemes, arranging meetings and taking minutes, proof reading and adding to reports, managing social media and editing websites.

I also provided full administrative and operational support for FabLab Devon, a project based in Exeter Library. I gave events and marketing support, and co-ordinated the FabLab Devon volunteers.
Additionally, I was responsible for the concept and organisation of GEW 2016 events.

What would you say was your biggest achievement over the course of your internship?

Completing a final milestone funding report which secured £7,000 and getting a funding application for £65,000 past it’s first evaluation.

What benefits did your internship bring to your employer?

My role reduced the pressure on team members who were able to delegate to me. The funding I secured was also greatly beneficial.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

I didn’t have a very thorough induction in all aspects of my role and was very daunted when I first started as it was a multi-facetted role. I was also repeatedly told that the intern I was replacing had done a poor job which I felt put a lot of pressure on me. It was difficult to manage my time between projects and to prioritise different workloads. I overcame these issues by asking a lot of questions, using my initiative and learning from my mistakes. To manage my workload I used tools such as Trello and Outlook calendar, I set myself deadlines and time allowances. Once I’d settled in I was happy in my internship.

“Steph’s natural can-do attitude has meant she has been given a number of other learning opportunities that have led to an increase in her understanding of DCC’s economic priorities and enhanced her knowledge of the public sector as a whole” – Victoria Gage