Student Information Desk Advisor – University of Exeter

Student Information Desk, SID, University of Exeter SID, SCP, SBP, GBP

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

Working on the SID desk, I delivered exceptional customer service to students and staff. This involved listening, and offering advice on issues concerning finance, accommodation, IT and many other areas. I needed to communicate effectively, as well as liaise with members of staff from other teams in the University in order to resolve student and staff enquiries. I was required to treat each enquiry in a professional and confidential manner while working in a fast-paced, vibrant environment.

What would you say was your biggest achievement over the course of your internship?

Being able to communicate effectively with members of the team and learning new skills and information each day. Also, earning the respect and trust of my colleagues to be able to deliver a high standard of work.

What benefits did your internship bring to your employer?

I completed an office renovation project over the course of 6 weeks, making our back office more accessible and easier to use. I also networked with a variety of teams at the University to set out a clear plan for the project. Additionally, I took on further responsibilities such as an IT report project and leading the team for a day.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

There were many IT enquiries of which I had little knowledge about. I would communicate with members of my own team or specialist IT teams within the University to find out more information, or look for advice.

I also had to deal with difficult callers or people at the SID Desk. In time, I watched how other people in the team would deal with them and used their techniques for the next time I received any difficult phone calls or desk enquiries.

Dan kendall