Transition Project Manager – NHS Devon

NHS Internship, SCP, SBP, A2I , GBP

What were your main duties and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

As a Transition Project Manager I assisted in the organisation of the transition and closedown of the old Primary Care Trusts, which were replaced by new Clinical Commissioning Groups and other organisations.. The objectives were to close down the PCTs and transfer all staff, equipment, and IT systems to the new CCGs. A lot of communication, organisation and project management skills were needed to manage the 21 different work streams and teams involved.

What would you say was your biggest achievement over the course of your internship?

My role as a Transition Project Manager has allowed me to significantly develop my skills in communication, organisation and Microsoft Office. I now have experience in administration and project management as well as an insight into what it is like to work in healthcare in the public sector. In addition, I undertook a training course from which I obtained the Association of Project Management’s Introductory Certificate in Project Management. This internship has been vital in helping me to secure my new, permanent role as an Incidents Administrator for South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust.

What benefits did your internship bring to your employer?

Due to the reorganisation of commissioning in the NHS, which led to the closedown of Primary Care Trusts with their assets and liabilities needing to be transferred to new organisations, I was needed to facilitate the transition.