Research Explorations in the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site PhD Reflections on 'The Practices of Carnival: Community Culture and Place' (Jon Croose) and 'Stone Exposures: photography, landscape change and anticipatory adaptation in the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site' (Rose Ferraby)

Finding stories, making work

04.25.2012 · Posted in Art Projects, Stone Exposures

Last week, I headed down the coast once again. This time to Bridport, and with Nicola Thomas, John Wylie and Ian Cook from the Geography department here in Exeter. We were meeting up to continue our collaboration with Proboscis. We’d been told to bring photos, music and a camera …

Arriving at PVA Media Labs in Bridport, Alice and Gary explained that they’d be showing us how to use VJ’ing software, so that we could make our own audio-visual piece on the coast. They sent us out to West Bay to ‘collect’. We soon meandered off in separate directions on the beach. Ian photographed flotsam, Nicola walked at the tide line, and John sat at the foot of the cliff looking out. Alice had given me a roll of paper and some very nice pencils and pastels, so after a while, I spread out the paper on the sand and drew the cliffs, then the sea, and then the sea again. It had been such a long time since I’d done any drawing, and I became totally emersed in it. When I looked up, the others were no where to be seen, so I busied myself filming the waves and the passing clouds. Eventually John returned – he’d been writing poetry. Ian and Nicola appeared from the cliff – they’d been looking at the caravan park. As we left, the rain began to come down, and we were glad to get back to shelter, and lunch.

The afternoon was spent uploading our mornings findings, and starting to play with ‘Avenue’ – the software Gary had taught us. It was great using something which had a random quality, and especially with inexperience, not knowing what was going to happen led to some happy combinations of sound, video and photos. We all agreed we could have spent a good week getting to know how to use it properly!

This collaboration with ourselves and Proboscis has been is a great thing – although none of us knew what was going to come of it, or how the project might work, I think we have all come away with different views of the coast, different skills, and other ways of thinking and visualising. Excellent lunches too!