Research Explorations in the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site PhD Reflections on 'The Practices of Carnival: Community Culture and Place' (Jon Croose) and 'Stone Exposures: photography, landscape change and anticipatory adaptation in the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site' (Rose Ferraby)

Rose Ferraby: Biog

Rose Ferraby

My academic career so far has cut a path through several disciplines, the latest being here in Geography in Exeter for my PhD. My undergraduate degree was Archaeology and Anthropology in Cambridge, followed by a stint working as a research assistant at the British School at Rome. My love of archaeology, landscapes and visualisation then combined in a MFA at Edinburgh College of Art in Illustration. Here I developed ideas about how scientific and abstract ideas can be communicated visually, and how images are then used and interpreted. I became very interested in how my archaeological experiences and ideas could be worked into screenprints, whose layers reflected those found in the landscape.

I am at the outset of my PhD, which seeks to explore change on the Jurassic Coast, and how this has been recorded visually. I will be exploring the nature of ‘natural’ change and how human action and perception on the coast has changed as a consequence. I am interested in the history and diversity of scientific recordings of the area, as well as how artists have responded to it, both in the past and present.