When I took over the MBA at Exeter last December, one thing that struck me is how well supported MBA students are, and how critical our unique MBA Suite is in promoting the collaborative mindset that business leaders need to develop to run successful businesses.
Building One, the School’s flagship building, was designed in 2008 with our MBA in mind. Set over three floors, the building is home to our One Planet MBA Suite which occupies the first floor of the building. Here’s a guided tour of our unique facilities…
Our MBA Suite is a self contained space that includes a suite of purpose-built rooms.
The MBA Suite hosts:
- the MBA Programme team’s office, open to MBA students all day, every day for support and advice
- the MBA Programme director’s office
- our MBA mini Library with 150+ reference books most commonly used across our MBA programme and weekly business magazines
- a suite of MBA meeting pods, very popular with our students for brainstorming sessions and group work,
- a mini MBA kitchen complete with a microwave oven, a nespresso machine, a fridge, a dishwasher and bright seating space overlooking the Business School’s main entrance hall. The kitchen is particularly popular at lunchtime when our students can prepare and heat their own meals, and help themselves to tea, coffee and drinks.
The MBA Suite also includes a larger seminar room increasingly used by our Hult Prize and Sustainability Challenge MBA teams while rehearsing their presentations, holding conference calls and developing their innovative business proposals.
At the heart of our MBA Suite is a cabaret-style space used by our students, guest speakers and corporate partners, an ideal space for holding MBA workshops such as the one recently held by L’Oreal’s CSR and Sustainability director.
Although our MBA students typically bring their own laptops and tablets with them, our MBA Suite also includes a number Apple iMacs to enable them to work on their assignments and print directly onto the MBA copier.
Our MBA Suite is very lively – you can come anytime of the day (and night) and chances are you will find our MBA students working in small groups within their dedicated space. The MBA Suite is only accessible to our MBA students by using their swipe card.
Very few business schools host similar facilities, which explains why we are regularly visited by MBA programme directors at other business schools keen to seek inspiration from us while designing or developing their own facilities. Our MBA Suite sets us apart, and is key in promoting a collaborative atmosphere across the MBA programme. Leave arrogance at home and be yourself!