Me? An MBA?

It’s all still a bit surreal. Who would have thought twenty years ago that I’d be doing an MBA … in a different country … with a focus on sustainability? After all, I didn’t like business and wouldn’t be any good at it anyway. Or so I thought. As it turns out, it’s quite amazing what one actually can do … and even more amazing that one enjoys doing it!

An MBA was most definitely not the direction that I would have anticipated my career taking a year ago. One serendipitous Friday afternoon changed a lot of things, though, not the least of these being my mindset. It was, I realised, a situation of ‘now or never’, and one in which I understood very clearly that I’d always wonder “what if?” if I didn’t ask the question “so why exactly is it that I wouldn’t be able to do an MBA?” And so the plunge was taken.

Big Thunder Mountain in Disney World, Florida, has nothing on the past four months. The One Planet MBA has been an exhilarating journey of discovery. On a more serious note, the One Planet MBA has struck a chord with me with its emphasis on balance and a long-term outlook. One doesn’t have to look far to see the effects of disparities across economic, social and environmental spheres. Being able to contribute to reducing these disparities constitutes an opportunity for me to make a meaningful and sustainable difference to quality of life. For now, though, the journey continues en route to that destination, one day at a time.

You must be logged in to post a comment.