Gentle Reminders

I was reminded of something so simple yet so fundamental over the past few days (my thanks to Paul Grantham for this pearl of wisdom): focus on the gap at the end of your line of sight rather than the boundary lines delineating this line of sight. Imagine driving down a narrow lane (or, in my case, driveway) that is just wide enough for a single car. There is a thorny hedge on either side and, behind each hedge, an uneven and rocky boundary wall. In reality you have a couple of inches between your car and the hedge on either side. What, I hear you wondering, are the chances of not scraping the side of the car as one drives down the lane? As it turns out, the odds for accumulating scratches are markedly better if one focuses on avoiding the hedge rather than focusing on the open gate at the end of the lane where the driveway widens at an open gateway (no comment about personal experience in this regard!). For me this was a powerful reminder to focus on one’s destination rather than on concentrating solely on the process of how to get to the destination or harking back to the starting point from where the journey set off. This is not to say that these latter two aspects are not relevant or worthy of consideration, but merely to highlight the over-riding need to look forward if one wants to move forward. Here’s to moving forward with the One Planet MBA …

You must be logged in to post a comment.