It’s all in the mind

I’m fascinated by the art of parkour. Until very recently, I had a vague recollection of having seen a video of this disciple of mind-boggling strength, agility and lateral thinking where participants utilise only their bodies to negotiate obstacles in the most efficient way possible along a given route. This has been described as involving sequences such as vaulting over railings, scaling walls, clearing fences, rolling under low-lying fences or bouncing off walls. It wasn’t, however, until I was privy to a first hand account of how one such traceur did a Spiderman impersonation along the walls of the most prestigious theatre in Cape Town and thereafter proceeded to negotiate up the stairs of the stage on his hands and to climb up onto a table about a meter off the ground whilst still standing on his hands, that I grasped exactly how remarkable this sport is. My mind boggles at the amount of core strength, co-ordination and sheer guts that can be harnessed to allow such adrenalin-pumping feats. The thing about this sport is that that it’s not only about the physical aspect of negotiating these obstacles. It’s just as much about the attitude. Each barrier is viewed not as an obstacle, but rather as a challenge and an opportunity to work out how to get over or around it. That’s my kind of sport! Now all I need to do is to figure out how to develop enough core strength and balance to bounce off walls, vault over railings and scale walls like Spiderman, or, as my climbing partner used to call me, like Spidergirl!

You must be logged in to post a comment.