Bibliographic software

Further to Rebecca’s post yesterday I would like to provide a link to the blog of another one of our PGR students.

As part of the┬ásecond workshop with our PGR students which was held a couple of weeks ago I led a discussion on the role of reference managers and what type of training should be given (or is needed) in this area. Endnote is the most common tool used at Exeter although our online survey has shown that it is by no means the only one. Consequently, I gave a, very, brief introduction to Mendeley and what it could do etc. This wasn’t a nuts and bolts session on how to use Mendeley but I used it as an introduction to uncover what our students would want from a reference manager.

Stuart has followed this up with a comparison of Endnote and Mendeley and how they can actually be used in conjunction with each other to improve the management of secondary literature (although of course they are not limited to this). He also lists a few of the pros and cons of each piece of software.

Posted under Follow the Data

This post was written by Gareth Cole on March 16, 2012

2 Comments so far

1. marion tattersall March 21, 2012 11:01

Good to collect info on what students actually want. Are you able to share the presentation you compiled to get discussion going?

2. Gareth Cole March 22, 2012 13:39

Hi Marion,

To be honest as it was only a brief 15-20 minute description of what Mendeley does I don’t have a prepared presentation to share I’m afraid.

Gareth

More Blog Post

Previous Post: