DSpace – our repository software

We’ve chosen DSpace as the repository to hold our research data. Much of the work to date has been involved around the issue of submitting large datasets to the respository.

We’re looking at using SWORD, and possibly SWORD 2.0. We’ve also taken the opportunity to update our current DSpace installations to the latest version of DSpace (1.8.2) and switched to an Oracle database, from Postgres. This gives us 24/7 support and allows us to use the latest version of SWORD, which only works on DSpace 1.8. We would also have had to upgrade our version of postrges to allow us to use the latest version of DSpace, which helped toward our decision to move to oracle.

For you techies out there, this process of updating has not been straightforward and is full of pitfalls. There is currently no process of easily cloning a postgres database and creating an oracle version so it all has to be done by hand to ensure the database integrity remains high. However, once the database is switched over, upgrading from 1.6.2 to DSpace 1.7.2 is quite straightforward.

BUT, DSpace 1.8.2 has some important differences to 1.7, most notably the devolvement of the main dspace.cfg file into several smaller configs.

So, a long winded process but we are near the end now. The test DSpace install is fully functional and so we now have the capability to upgrade the live version.

Ian – Technical Developer

Posted under Technical development

This post was written by Ian Wellaway on May 25, 2012

2 Comments so far

  1. Miguel Alho May 25, 2012 13:08

    I have a client that wants me to migrate from pg to ora. I think what is puzzleing me the most are pg’s text datatypes. It seem from the tests i’ve done that oracle limits it’s text fields. How did you go about the text filed conversions (if you had to do that)?

    Thanks

  2. Ian Wellaway May 25, 2012 13:15

    Hi Miguel,

    Well, first I tried to dump all of the data directly from pg into ora using a direct export from pg and import into ora. This didn’t work at all and caused lots of problems with the relationship between data and tables in the new db.

    So, I started again and, after creating the new ora db from the provided schema, exported lal of the items using the command line script in dspace and then batch imported them again into the new ora db. I also had to setup the new db with all of the community and collection structure, and recreate all of the rols, groups and epersons from before which turned into a very long task.

    However, in my opinion, using the provided dspace command line tools and the dspace gui is the most reliable way of transferring data from one db to another.

    Hope this helps

    Best regards

    Ian

More Blog Post