Follow the Data – end of project feedback from Duncan Wright

Firstly, I’d like to say that I have really enjoyed the time that I have spent working on the Open Exeter Project. It has been a pleasure working with all of the project team, staff and PhD researchers alike, and I feel that it has been a productive experience. I feel the project has been well managed throughout, with exemplary correspondence and engagement with researchers: at no point was it unclear what was required from us, and the aims and objectives of each task were consistently communicated effectively. I have particularly appreciated the time spent in workshops, and it is probably in this format which I gained the most. Conversely, I found tasks/activities online more difficult to undertake, although this is probably as much a reflection on the manner in which I operate than anything else. The times when specialists were invited into the workshops seemed to work especially well, and the level at which the information was pitched was far better than that of the PGR development workshops.

Particular aspects of the project I found especially informative for my own research, and I would have certainly have benefitted further still if I’d encountered some of the information nearer the beginning of my studies. The workshop/discussion on academic referencing software, such as Mendeley and EndNote, was really informative and should be considered for the future – I’m aware that there is an EndNote workshop, but researchers should be made aware of the wider range of resources available where possible. Creating a data management plan also provided a useful insight: I’ve actually mentioned data management in a few of the research fellowships that I’ve been applying for, and it is experience which I hope to use to my benefit from in the future. It has been good too to learn about Open Access, and its implications for research even if some of those are potentially difficult/challenging – it seems a shame that more academics in particular are not engaging with Open Access, or at least involved in discussing its implementation.

I think that the lack of interest from academics was reflected during the Open Access week though sadly. It was also disappointing that the University didn’t deem it important enough to warrant a more suitable location for the stall – this is in no way a criticism of the team, as I am aware that a better position was sought after, but it did negatively impact the visibility of the stall and what we had to offer. Open Access week was a well-publicised, efficiently organised and very informative event, and all of the sessions that I went to were interesting, pitched at a good level and useful. It was just a shame that it wasn’t enjoyed by more people!

That’s probably the sum of most of my thoughts. As I said before, my main thoughts about Open Exeter is that it has been a very positive experience, and a real pleasure to work with you all.

Posted under Follow the Data, PGR students

This post was written by Jill Evans on January 21, 2013

More Blog Post