Express Scribe

Just a quick blog post to say that I recently discovered an interesting piece of software that might help in the data collection process. It is called Express Scribe and I find it greatly speeds up the transcription process. Essentially it is a piece of software through which you play the audio recording that is to be transcribed. You can then turn certain keys on your keyboard into hot keys or use a foot pedal so that you don’t have to move away from the word processing programme in order to pause and rewind the recording. I’m sure the pro version has many other features but I find the free version does everything I need it to.

On a related note, I’m very pleased I had the Echo Smart Pen with me today when conducting an interview as the battery of my digital audio recorder ran out. It turns out two bars just isn’t enough to get through an interview. I will need to make sure it is fully charged in future. Fortunately I was also recording the audio on my Smart Pen and although the audio isn’t as good as the Olympus digital recorder it is still perfectly audible.

Posted under Data management tools, Follow the Data, PGR students

This post was written by Philip Bremner on May 8, 2013

Tags:

More Blog Post