Home » Open Access » Taylor & Francis revises open access policy

Taylor & Francis revises open access policy

Taylor & Francis now allows authors to post the accepted version of a published paper on their personal or departmental web site without an embargo.  The accepted version is the post-peer review paper – the new policy does not apply to the published version, use of this is not permitted.

This posting is allowed after publication and a DOI to the published version should be included.

This may seem like a step in the right direction but lengthy embargoes are still in place for papers submitted to an institutional repository or other subject-based repositories such as arXiv.  The same policy of embargoes applies to social networking sites such as ResearchGate, Academia.edu and Mendeley.

Funders require deposit in a stable environment such as that offered by established institutional or subject repositories – uploading a published paper to a personal web site will not make a researcher compliant with funder policy he/she will still need to deposit the same version to a repository – this time with an embargo of possibly 18 months.  Could get confusing.

I’m sure researchers will find this new policy useful but those who support researchers will need to ensure a clear message about what constitutes ‘funder compliance’ in terms of the availability of published works gets across.