Interview with Kelly Tucker

Kelly Photo

This week we catch up with Kelly Tucker, 3rd Year Sociology SSLC (Student Staff Liaison Committee) Representative to get her take on what it feels like being representing her cohort.

Hello Kelly, great to meet you. Could you give us a little introduction about yourself?

Kelly: Hi, great to meet you too! Well I have just completed my second year at Exeter studying BA Sociology and will be going into my third from September, which I am looking forward to. I am originally from London and I love reading, participating in sports, and spending time with friends and family in my spare time.

Great! Could you tell us more about what the SSLC does?

Kelly: The purpose of the SSLC is for students to voice their opinions, concerns, and ideas to senior members of staff in the department. We are a point of contact for fellow students to approach us with anything that they would like to be voiced to the department or anything that they would like changed. This could be for clearer feedback, different methods of assessment, or anything else that could be thought of to improve the course for the next incoming students! We meet regularly and this gives the staff an opportunity to ask us how things are going, and for us to propose suggestions and ask questions.

What made you want to run for the position as 3rd Year Sociology Rep?

Kelly: I am really passionate about my course. I want to make an academic career out of it so I really wanted to get involved as much as I could. I felt this would be a great experience and a chance for me to share the opinions that myself, friends and classmates have. I also felt this would provide a good networking opportunity, a chance to meet other students in the department as well as develop stronger relationships with members of staff of whom I may not have been taught by.

What are the key areas that you are looking to improve within the sociology course?

Kelly: Well I think the course is great, so this is a tough question, of course there is always room for improvement, so I will just be looking out for things that I feel could be strengthened. Quite a lot of people that I have spoken to have stressed concerns surrounding modules that are marked 100% on one essay, this was raised at our latest SSLC meeting and staff are now considering revising that. During the exam period many felt that one hour for one question was not quite long enough and therefore felt quite pressured, so that is perhaps an area for the SSLC to look into. I also feel getting students to be more involved in tutorials is an area that could be improved, and letting students feel more comfortable in approaching lecturers during office hours as these are underused and lecturers really do want us to make the most of it, there is so much more you can get from a face to face conversation than a two sentence email!

What are the challenges that you anticipate facing this year in your work as an SSLC rep? How would you resolve them?

Kelly: I suppose differentiating opinions may arise, so these will need to be approached by taking everyone’s point of view into consideration until reaching agreement. Encouraging people to get on board and support your ideas can also be a challenge, so I would just try and resolve this by making sure that my case is feasible and realistic!

In what ways do you think the needs of a student change as they progress through their degree?

Kelly: I think we begin to develop our interests. We begin to understand more about what we are specifically interested in researching and exploring. I think often it is assumed that as students progress through their degree they become more independent and need less support from staff, but I actually don’t think this is the case. Second and third years still need the support but in different ways, this is when students should be encouraged to take it upon themselves to approach staff members that are working in the fields they are interested in. I recently approached a lecturer who specialises in the area of research that I want to write my dissertation on. I found her so helpful and got a lot of encouragement and resources to look at over summer.

And, finally, what advice would you give students in balancing their time between university work and play?

Kelly: I would say write out your deadlines at the start of term! I always do this, and it is rewarding when you get to cross them off as you go along. Don’t leave things until the last minute. Plan! Plan fun things too like a trip to the cinema or a night out with friends. Always take a look at the essay and sample exam questions at the start of your module and make a note of the one that interests you so you can look out for things relevant during lecturers. Set aside a few hours a day for study, and give yourself the evenings off to unwind! Remember you only get to go to university once and it goes so quickly so be sure to do your best but also enjoy the learning experience too, don’t let the stress and pressure take over, you’re here because you want to be! I can’t believe I am going to be in third year already.

Find out more about the SSLC here: https://www.exeterguild.org/change/howto/content/How%20Tos/2013/07/11/How-To-What-Is-an-SSLC/

Jason Chang