Philosophy: The student experience

GemmaJoyce picture

Philosophy finalist Gemma Joyce shares her experiences of studying at Exeter.

Studying Philosophy and Sociology at the University of Exeter has been great fun and has massively complemented my choice of a career in journalism.

At the end of my second year I became editor of Exeter’s award winning student paper, Exeposé – something I’d definitely recommend getting involved in. If you’re interested in the media, Exeter has a wide range of student publications from academic journals to music magazines. We also have radio and television production societies, but the opportunities aren’t just limited to Exeter – my experience at Exeposé proved hugely helpful in my applications for work experience elsewhere and I successfully got placements at The Times, The Guardian and The Huffington Post while studying – something the department was very supportive of.

My degree’s flexible hours helped fit my time around the demands of running the paper and doing regular essays and exams really helped to hone my writing skills. Moving forward, I’m going to do a Masters in Newspaper Journalism at City University London, the best course available for trainee journalists in the country – something I couldn’t do without my degree from Exeter.

Gemma Joyce, BA Philosophy and Sociology, Year 3