Join the Buddy Scheme!

Keen to provide a friendly, peer-to-peer support for incoming freshers for the next academic year? Then the Sociology, Philosophy and Anthropology department wants you! The SPA Buddy Scheme is a Peer Mentoring programme run by students, for students.

Starting out at university can be a big change, and the Buddy Scheme aims to provide pastoral support for first year students to help them feel more settled in the university. Keen to support and empower mentees to find solutions to problems, signposting them to appropriate services and building a supportive relationship to get them off their mark? Then the Buddy Scheme is just for you!

Jess Wiemer, one of our editors and current Buddy Scheme mentor, rates the scheme highly –

“The Buddy Scheme was a great opportunity to help first year students feel more comfortable at university. I found the scheme to be a more intimate way for them to get to know the university and the town from a student perspective, as opposed to speaking to lecturers or the university administration. Not only was it exciting to help students, but I made new friends along the way. I really enjoyed the experience.”

What will you take away from it? As a former mentor myself, I found that you will develop your verbal and listening skills, alongside understanding how to maintain boundaries while being fully supportive in understanding the experience of working with the needs of students in a higher education institute.

Interested? Applications should be submitted by 25th May at the following link:  http://goo.gl/forms/pg2pdvoBWL

Questions? Contact for your queries!

Jason