There are some T4 issues that frequently pop up. Below we’ve listed 4 common conundrums and their solutions. If you have encountered other quirks while using T4, please get in touch and let us know.
1. Is the text on your page formatting incorrectly or looking odd?
To fix this and get your text formatting correctly, you need to view the text in T4, then:
- cut the faulty text so that it’s saved to your clipboard (highlight it, then press Ctrl and X on the keyboard),
- click the ‘Paste as plain text icon’ in the text editor toolbar (highlighted below),
- and paste it back in (press Ctrl and V).
- Then you can highlight the text and re-format it how you want it using the ‘Format’ drop-down menu.
2. Have you made changes to your page in T4 but they’re not taking effect on the live site?
This could be because of a few different causes:
- T4 hasn’t yet finished publishing the page. This should resolve itself after an hour or so – if you’ve waited and it still isn’t appearing check the options below.
- You clicked ‘update’ rather than ‘update and approve’ which would leave the content ‘pending’ and not ‘approved’ and therefore not added to the publish list. To remedy this make sure you click ‘update and approve.’
- Your internet browser cache has stored an older version of your page so that it is able to load it faster. To update it to the current version you must refresh your page by holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the F5 key.
- If you still can’t get your page to update, please contact your web marketing officer or a member of the web team.
3. Do you ever find that your content in T4 bounces up and down?
This glitch is simple to fix: click the arrow buttons to make the site structure on the left-hand side wider or narrower. Giving the right-hand content more (or less) space will usually solve the problem and make your content readable again.
If you click the left-hand arrow a couple of times, the site structure will disappear from the screen, but it’s easy to retrieve – just click the right-hand arrow to expand it again.
If this fix isn’t working, you can also try re-sizing your browser window.
4. Are your images missing from the media library?
Occasionally a media library folder fails to display any media items when you open it. If you know there should be images or files in there, re-size your browser window. Changing the size of the window usually solves this T4 quirk and makes the items display again.
Frank Zirger and Lucy Corley
Web and Digital Communications Assistants (GBP)