Liam Trimby passes his viva!
Congratulations to Liam Trimby, who has passed his viva. He was supervised by Prof. C. David Wright and Dr. Anna Baldycheva.Liam’s thesis was titled ‘Phase-Change Meta-Devices for Tuneable Bandpass Filtering in the Infrared’. The examiners were Prof. Martin Cryan from University of Bristol and the internal examiner was Dr. Mustafa Aziz.
His achievements include winning the poster prize at CHAMP/WAFT conference in May 2018 for his poster on Multispectral Imaging using Phase-Change Meta-Filters.
Liam has also been heavily involved in outreach, having been a Metabuddies Lead Tutor (a schools outreach scheme run by CDT students) and a tutor for Brilliant Club KS4 (an outreach scheme targeted at disadvantaged Key Stage 4 students), as well as volunteering at WOMAD in 2017 and Pint of Science in 2019
Liam has co-authored the following publications:
- Carrillo SGC, Trimby L, Au YY, Nagareddy VK, Rodriguez-Hernandez G, Hosseini P, Ríos C, Bhaskaran H, Wright CD. (2019) A Nonvolatile Phase-Change Metamaterial Color Display, Advanced Optical Materials, volume 7, no. 18, DOI:10.1002/adom.201801782. [PDF]
- Wright CD, Carrillo SGC, de Galarreta CR, Gemo E, Trimby L, Alexeev AM, Au YY, Nagareddy VK, Baldycheva A, Bertolotti J. (2018) Phase-change metadevices for the dynamic and reconfigurable control of light, Optics InfoBase Conference Papers, volume Part F107-NOMA 2018, DOI:10.1364/NOMA.2018.NoTh2D.4. [PDF]
- Trimby L, Baldycheva A, Wright CD. (2018) Phase-change band-pass filters for multispectral imaging, SPIE West, San Francisco, 27th Jan – 1st Feb 2018, Photonic and Phononic Properties of Engineered Nanostructures VIII, volume 10541, DOI:10.1117/12.2290405. [PDF]
- Garcia-Cuevas Carrillo S, Trimby L, Hosseini P, Bhaskaran H, Wright CD. (2017) Towards a phase-change metamaterial CMY subtractive display. [PDF]
- Thummavichai K, Trimby L, Wang N, Wright CD, Xia Y, Zhu Y. (2017) Low Temperature Annealing Improves the Electrochromic and Degradation Behavior of Tungsten Oxide (WOx) Thin Films, JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C, volume 121, pages 20498-20506, article no. 37, DOI:10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b06300. [PDF]
Liam has presented at the following conferences:
- Liam Trimby, Anna Baldycheva, David Wright, Poster: “Chalcogenide Perfect Absorbers for the Detection and Modulation of Infra-Red Radiation” Defence Materials Forum, Exeter, United Kingdom, 17th April 2016.
- Liam Trimby, David Wright, “Phase-Change Metadevices Incorporating GaLaS”, Knowledge Transfer Network – Indstrial Applications of Metamaterials, London, United Kingdom 29th March 2017.
- Liam Trimby, Anna Baldycheva, David Wright, Poster: “Multispectral Imaging using Phase-Change Meta-Filters”, SPIE West, San Francisco, California, 27th January – 1st February 2018.
- Liam Trimby, Anna Baldycheva, David Wright, Poster: “Multispectral Imaging using Phase-Change Meta-Filters”, 2nd International Symposium on Doped Amorphous Chalcogenides and Devices, Lake District, United Kingdom, May 2018
- Liam Trimby, John Lincolin, Anna Baldycheva, David Wright, “Tunable Band-Pass Filters using Phase-Change Materials” 4th Cranfield Defence and Security Symposia, Swindon, United Kingdom, 13th – 14th November.
- Liam Trimby, Anna Baldycheva, David Wright, Poster: “Tunable Band-Pass Filters using Phase-change Materials”, European Phase-Change and Ovonic Symposium, Catania, Italy, 8th – 10th September, 2018.
- Liam Trimby, Anna Baldycheva, David Wright, Poster: “Tunable Band-Pass Filters using Phase-Change Materials”, Smart NanoMaterials, Advances, and Applications, Paris, France, 10th – 13th December 2018.
- Liam Trimby, David Wright, Presentation: “Tunable Band-Pass Filters using Phase-change Materials”, MRS Spring 2019, Phoenix, Arizona, 22nd – 26th April 2019.
- Liam Trimby, Yat-Yin Au, and C. David Wright, “Electrical switching behaviour of Ge2Sb2SexTe5-x thin films using in-suti micro-heaters”, EPCOS 2019, Grenoble France, 8th – 10th September 2019.