None other than David Bowie has been the inspiration behind this week’s blog title because it is a time where decisions and changes are being made. For all of our new students hoping to join us in September and especially those who have been to our Offer Holder Visit Days, you are probably thinking about what accommodation would be best for you and constantly changing your mind about where you want to live, what standard of accommodation you require and whether you want to live in catered or self-catered accommodation. Is that right? Over the next couple of weeks I will be weighing up the options and doing a Harry Hill style ‘FIGHT’ to see what would come out on top for you.
This week’s fight is between *insert the ‘Eye of the tiger’ theme tune here*…
Catered Vs. Self-Catered
- Catered accommodation is made up of halls and is only available on the Streatham Campus. The residences include: Birks Grange Village, Exeter Halls, Holland Hall and Mardon Hall. Our catered accommodation is made up of standard single, standard twin (all standard rooms include a washbasin but you will need to share bathroom facilities with other residences) and single en-suite rooms (which includes your own shower, washbasin and toilet). Make sure you have looked at the prices to see how they vary.
- In catered accommodation you are provided with 16 meals per week included in your price. This includes breakfast and an evening meal Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday you are provided with a continental breakfast, brunch and dinner. A vegetarian option is included at every meal time. Check out what are students are currently munching on by looking at the menus.
- Don’t panic, we are not totally lunch-less because within all catered accommodation there is a mini fridge provided in each bedroom and a utility room available nearby for the provision to store and make your own lunch. If you don’t fancy making lunch then we do a number of cafés and shopping outlets available on campus.
- If you choose catered accommodation then you will need to bring your own bed linen and towels.
- Self-catered accommodation is available on both the Streatham and St Luke’s campus and within a 20 minute walking distance of each. Self-catered accommodation does what it says on the tin whereby your meals are not catered for. It is made up of standard single, single en-suite, double (couple) en-suite and studio rooms.
- In standard single rooms students share both the communal bathroom and communal kitchen and lounge/dining areas.
- Single and double en-suite rooms have the use of their own shower room and will share the communal kitchen and lounge/dining areas.
- Studio rooms offer independent living and consist of one room which provides an open-plan living space including a small kitchenette and en-suite facilities.
- We have a variety of self-catered residences available, so take a look at our website for further information. Prices and contract lengths vary, so take a peek at our price list for further information.
- If you choose self-catered accommodation then you will need to provide your own bed linen, towels, crockery, cutlery and pots and pans (try not to bring a pack of three pans because if you’re in a flat with twelve people – that’s an awful lot of washing up!)
Has that helped you in any way at all? If you’re still at a quandary over what to do, then make sure you look at our 360° virtual tours to see our residences and the different types of accommodation available.
Now to our current students… you have been here for nearly SIX months now! Doesn’t time fly when you’re having fun? The Residential Services Questionnaire was emailed out to all students within our residences on Monday 10 March. You have two weeks to complete this and by completing it, you will be in with a chance to win one of three £50.00 Amazon vouchers (winners will be selected at random). What are you waiting for?