OHVD – Final Q&A

There are three more Offer Holder Visit Days taking place this year (Saturday 25 March, Wednesday 29 March and Friday 28 April), however, this week marks the last of our Q&A blogposts. The reason for this is because we are drawing closer to our application open date on 10 April and have lots to update you on before then. This week we are letting you know about support on campus and whether you have to live in university accommodation for your first year.

What support is available to students on campus?
There are a number of support services in place for students whilst studying at the University of Exeter including:

  1. AccessAbility – offer support to students with a medical condition or learning difficulty who may require additional support.
  2. Estate Patrol – are the university’s very own security team. They are available to provide advice and assistance, 24 hours a day 365 days a year and are based on the Streatham Campus. Estate Patrol monitor fire and intruder alarms, the University’s extensive CCTV system and provide a rapid response when required.International Student Support Office – help support our international students. They are made up of a team of trained immigration advisers who are qualified to provide the latest immigration advice covering a range of visa types.  Further information for international students is available on our website.
  3. The Residence Life Team (RLT)– offer support to students living within university owned, approved or managed residences. You can speak to them confidentially about whatever is on your mind.  An RLT Mentor will visit one evening a week to answer questions, help with any problems, and keep you up-to-date with what’s going on in the University and city. They also help to arrange a number of events throughout the year.
  4. Students’ Guild Advice Unit – provide free, independent and confidential advice and information on a range of issues affecting students, including: housing, money and academic related matters.
  5. SID (Student Information Desk) – are the first port of call for all student related enquiries. SID is available online, via the telephone and in person (at both the Streatham and St Lukes Campus).
  6. Wellbeing Services team – this team is made up of counsellors and mental health practitioners who are all highly skilled and experienced. They are able to offer advice, therapeutic and practical support to help students cope personally and to manage their studies.

Do I have to live in accommodation for my first year?
The short answer to this is ‘no’, you are not required to live in university accommodation for your first year and can look for availability in the city. Further information and advice about this is available in our blog post written in February.

Next week’s blog will be providing you with information about the applications opening and what you need to prepare for.

Accommodation Catherine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *