Last week we looked at catered accommodation. This week we are looking at self-catered accommodation and what this includes:
2018/19 Accommodation prices
The accommodation prices for 2018/19 are now available on our website. Take a look at both the self-catered and catered price lists for a full breakdown of figures. Take a look at each individual residence page for all of our accommodation do have further information about each residence.
As noted in last weeks blog post, 70% of our accommodation is located on campus and 30% is located off campus. This therefore means that 30% of our self-catered accommodation is located off campus within a walking distance of between 20-25 minutes.
Self-catered accommodation is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. If you are someone who prefers to choose when you eat, what you eat and where you eat and not be governed by meal times then self-catered accommodation is likely to suit you.
What does the rent include and what is in my room?
Information about what is provided within self-catered rooms can be found on our website. Self-catered accommodation gives students access to a communal kitchen area (unless you’re living within a studio whereby you have your own kitchenette area). Many students prefer the option of a shared kitchen as they find it to be a social hotspot and a place where you can learn from each other and enhance your cooking skills. In your room you will find:
- Bed, wardrobe, desk and chair – for bed sizes, please see each individual residence page.
- Bookshelves, desk lamp or built-in lighting, noticeboard and waste bin.
- High speed wired and wireless network/internet from StudentCom*.
- IPTV is available via your computer. For more information on IPTV visit the StudentCom website and choose the ‘TV package’ option. IPTV is available via your computer. Please note you will still need a TV Licence to watch live TV from any device.
- Shower, washbasin and toilet facilities in en-suite and studio rooms.
Take a look at ourYouTube video for an insight into our self-catered accommodation.
How long are the self-catered contracts?
Unlike our catered contracts which are term time only, students living in our self-catered accommodation are able to remain in their accommodation for the full length of the contract. There are four different contract lengths attached to different residences, so please ensure you check our website before completing your application. The contract lengths are:
- 40 weeks – dates are from Sunday 16 September 2018 until Saturday 22 June 2019
- 42 weeks – available from Sunday 16 September 2018 until Saturday 6 July 2019
- 44 weeks – available from Sunday 16 September 2018 until Saturday 20 July 2019
- 51 weeks – available from Sunday 16 September 2018 until Saturday 7 September 2019 (favoured by postgraduate students)
If you are still unsure about which type of residence you would prefer then visit our ‘how to choose‘ pages which might be able to help.
Applications for both undergraduate and postgraduate students will open on Monday 9 April 2018 from 10:00am.
Next week we will be looking at our Accommodation Guarantee and how we allocate rooms.