In last week’s blog, we talked about how to register for an account and apply for accommodation. Today we are answering a few more frequently asked questions that pop up during the application process.
Selecting enough accommodation options
One of the questions we have been receiving here in the Accommodation Office recently is that you are unable to move forward onto the next stage of your application. You will need to make sure you have entered enough accommodation options before you can submit your application. You can use the search facility to bring up a list of residences suited to your needs which can help you decide on which ones you want to include in your application.
- Undergraduate students: Select four accommodation preferences before you can submit your application.
- Postgraduate students: Select three accommodation preferences before you can submit your application.
Please take a look at the how to choose your accommodation webpage for more information.
Living with your friends
If you want to live together with your friends, we will try and accommodate this for you. We can aim to place a maximum of three existing friends together in a flat. When you apply, you and your friends will all need to include the following details on your applications:
- Your friend’s full name
- Your friend’s student ID number
- The same preferences of accommodation
If we process your applications at different times, for example, if one of you has an unconditional firm offer and the other has a conditional firm offer, then we will be unable to place you together. Please view our room allocation procedure for more details on how this works.
Tell us about yourself
Did you know that we review every single application we process? That’s nearly 6000 over the summer! As part of the online application we ask you to select your top four hobbies and interests from a list of options. Please answer this honestly – and if someone else is completing the application on your behalf then make sure you tell them what you would select! Do you enjoy sports, socialising and shopping or culture, cinema and current affairs? We use this information to help us allocate you to a residence with students who share similar interests to you.
Amending your accommodation application
We have also been receiving queries from students on how to amend or delete their submitted accommodation application. You can still amend your application if this is at the ‘submitted stage’.
To amend or delete your current application, please follow the steps below:
- Log back in to your accommodation account
- Select ‘My application and booking’ tab located at the top of the webpage
- Click on the ‘View’ tab against your application
- Amending your application: Select ‘edit’ against the section that you want to amend – you can make changes to the additional information here, but you can only re-order your residence preferences at this stage. Please click on ‘save’ and your original ‘submit’ date will remain the same.
- Changing your residence preferences: To do this, you will need to ‘delete’ your current application and create a new one, following the same steps as you did before. Scroll to the bottom of your current application summary page and select ‘delete’. You can then create a new application and submit this. Please note that if you do this then your original submission date will be lost – so be very careful if you are making this change around the time of our guarantee deadline.
Tracking your application
Once your accommodation application shows as ‘submitted’, we are then able to start processing this. You can then track your application to see what stage this is at.
Get in touch with any questions!
If you can’t find the answers to your questions please get in touch and we will be happy to help! The Accommodation Office can be contacted between 9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday in the following ways:
- Telephone – 0300 555 0444
- Email –
- Facebook – facebook.com/exeteruniaccommodation