Good morning everyone,
We hope you’ve all had a good week. We’ve recently been going through University accommodation in further detail. However, you are not obliged to live with us in your first year! Today we’re going to go through some other options you may wish to explore.
What types of accommodation are available?
Whether you are looking as an individual or as a group, Exeter has a lot of private student accommodation options which include:
- Private halls of residence – purpose built student residences which offer individual tenancies
- Shared houses and flats through agents/landlords
- Resident landlord/host family – living in accommodation with the landlord and/or their family
You can see examples of these and further advice and information on our website.
How do I search for private accommodation?
Before you begin your search for private accommodation, think about what it is you really want:
- Budget – weekly/monthly and if you want bills included or not
- To live on your own, with friends, with family or to meet new people and share
- The areas of Exeter you wish to live (we have a handy list of locations on our website under the ‘local area information‘ tab)
- Whether you want a room with a landlord, room in a purpose-built residence (similar to university accommodation), a flat or a house
Once you know what you’re looking for, you can take a look at the private housing list available via our Studentpad website to see what accommodation is available. Studentpad where you are able to search by accommodation type, number of bedrooms or the weekly rent price.
Studentpad also allows you to find other students who are looking to share private housing. You can therefore find other students in a similar position to you. You can do this via the Studentpad Message Board
Living in the City
Living off-campus has many benefits; you’re closer to shops and entertainment venues and you get to experience the charms that Exeter can offer our Off campus living blog post goes into some of these benefits in more detail. There are a variety of great things to do around the city. Have a look at the Visit Exeter website to get an idea of just some of the things to do and see.
Is there support for students living in the city?
Yes, there absolutely is. Our Student Community Wardens encourage the integration of students as active citizens and they work closely with the Students’ Guild, Devon and Cornwall Police and Exeter City Council to support fellow students living off campus.
Offer Holder Visit Days
Our online offer holder visit days will start taking place from the 6th March 2021. These are a great opportunity to ask our team any questions you may have and to view our online presentation which gives you detailed information on the process of applying accommodation through to your arrival.
We hope that you’ve found todays blog useful, have a good week all.