Hello everyone! With the Accommodation Fair taking place today (09:30 – 14:00 in the Great Hall), this week felt like a good time to take a look at the paperwork involved in getting your new home secured.
Preparation is the key (…to your new home!)
It’s important to make sure you understand your accommodation contract and what you are committing yourself to. Skimming over the terms and conditions now could result in problems later with your accommodation, or with making payments. Here are a few key questions to know the answers to when you start to look into securing a tenancy agreement or contract:
- Are you signing an individual or joint tenancy agreement?
- What would happen with the rent payments if one of your flatmates suddenly dropped out of the University?
- What does the landlord commit to doing and what is your responsibility?
- Is there any outdoor space? If so, who is responsible for maintaining it?
- Are bills included?
- How frequently do you have to pay and do these payments align with your student maintenance loan?
There are lots more aspects to think about so it really is wise to take time and read the contract carefully and clarify anything that you are not sure about. There are a number of resources available to help, including:
- The Students’ Guild Advice webpages
- Residence Life Team – make an appointment or go along to one of their events
- The University Law department tenancy referral – This is being run with 3rd year students overseen by solicitors. to have your contract reviewed or watch their short video on Tenancy contractsthat may be useful
Not found your home for next year yet?
Don’t panic! New adverts are being added to Studentpad all the time with rooms and houses to rent in the city. The Studentpad Message Board is also a great tool if you want to join a houseshare, or are looking for someone to take on a remaining room in a property you have already found.
The Accommodation Fair is on today in the Great Hall until 14:00, where you can find a range of private landlords, letting agents and Purpose Built Student Accommodation. Plus all the advice services will be there, including ourselves (your trusty Accommodation Team!), the Students’ Guild Advice, Residence Life Team and Community Wardens.
To round up the day, the Residence Life Team are hosting a Coffee Night from 19:00 until 20:30, at Isca Eats.
I hope you have a great week!