Collaboration for Academic Primary Care (APEx) Blog

Q and A with Kasim Allel

Posted by Mark

28 October 2022
  • Can you tell us a bit about yourself and research and/or career to this point?

I am a PhD student in Infectious and Tropical Diseases at the LSHTM and a Research Associate at the College of Medicine and Health, University of Exeter. I hold an MSc in Health Economics and Decision Science from UCL and a Bachelor’s in Engineering obtained abroad. My current research focuses on infectious diseases, particularly quantifying and understanding the transmission patterns and population spread of antimicrobial-resistant bacteria (AMR) within different settings of low-and-middle-income countries (LMICs).

• What are you aiming to do through your fellowship/new post?

During my fellowship, I plan to work alongside different professionals to collaboratively help enhance the design of targeted policies to tackle antimicrobial resistance by involving various stakeholders and organisations in Argentina and the UK. This might help strengthen the Argentinian National Action Plan against antimicrobial resistance while understanding the relevant decision-making actors to minimise its transmission pathways and attributed burden.

• What are you looking forward to most in starting your fellowship/new post?

I look forward to understanding the Argentinian context to help localise opportunity venues to tackle antimicrobial resistance by using an intersectoral perspective towards better population health. The research also opens new platforms to guide the design and implementation of similar research protocols in other LMICs to finally improve AMR indicators regionally while integrating multidisciplinary action within-country settings in the animal-human interface.

•       Tell us something about yourself that may be less well known

I am originally from Latin America – Chile—and like the outdoors and natural landscapes, grinding and brewing my coffee, getting creative in the kitchen, and jazz gigs.

Back home Back