Notice: Undefined index: reset in /var/www/html/wp-content/mu-plugins/cets_blog_defaults.php on line 733

Deprecated: define() was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 3.0.0! The constant VHOST is deprecated. Use the boolean constant SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL in wp-config.php to enable a subdomain configuration. Use is_subdomain_install() to check whether a subdomain configuration is enabled. in /var/www/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5497
Why I Became an Apprentice-Badar Afzal - Apprenticeships

Posted by on 26 June 2018

Badar Afzal

CBP Support Assistant Apprentice

How did you find out about apprenticeships? Your school? A family member?

Through my mother. She suggested I look into apprenticeships whilst I was still young, as the government was continuing to invest in them. We discussed how professional services were offering an increased number of apprenticeships, and this fit my background well.

How did you decide to become an apprentice?

My mother and I searched for various apprenticeships nearby. The choice was not as diverse as I would have liked; I used to live in the countryside near a small town. However, I attended an Apprenticeship fair in Taunton which was a little bit far away but well worth the commute. I was blown away by all of the diverse opportunities offered to apprentices in many different roles. I was not aware of this beforehand. I was particularly impressed by how apprenticeships could effectively FastTrack your career in a short period of time. During my time there, I met many representatives from various organisations, including the University of Exeter. That was the first and only apprenticeship I applied for.

What was the apprenticeship application / recruitment process like?

When I discovered the vacancy for an apprenticeship at the University of Exeter, submissions were already open. Nevertheless, I took my time and care in preparing my application. I made sure to try and best communicate why I felt I would be a good fit for them based on the criteria they were looking for. I was invited for an interview at the University Innovation Centre two weeks after my initial application.

Honestly, my interview did not go nearly as well as I would have liked. I felt very nervous as this was my first panel interview, consisting of employees who were part of a larger team widely to be considered Exeter University’s best.

I was able to compose myself during my interview and tell them I was feeling very nervous, to which they were very sympathetic. I got through the interview- it was quite brief as my answers to their questions were not overly detailed. I did ensure I had prepared some questions to ask them afterwards however. I then met with a representative from South Devon College, where I would commence studying for a level 4 diploma in business administration if I was to be accepted for this role. We discussed the various aspects of college life, and what it would be like to be working full time and studying on the side. She gave me some good advice, and showed me some of the example work students in a similar position to me would be expected to produce. She then met with members of the panel who interviewed me to discuss my application. This was definitely the most sophisticated and well organised interview I had ever done. I then received a call later that day from my soon to be manager notifying me I had been accepted for the role, and I was to start work in two weeks’ time. I was later notified by my manager that interviews are not always the make or break factor, and that they were able to look past some of my interview faults, as they saw the potential in me.

I was lucky, everyone was very nice at the university, including the café staff. I was made to feel very welcome, offered tea or coffee upon my arrival, and in particular the interview panel who later would become my colleagues in Contract Research and Consultancy were very gracious.

What is a typical work day like for you?

Like most- when I come in to work I check my emails. I also however check the team mailbox as is my role, and I will forward any relevant emails to team members. I keep it tidy and organised; someone needs to!

On average I will raise 3 invoices a day, and do the accompanying work that comes with it. This generally takes up the most of my time.

As part of my NVQ, I have also been working with events management. I help set the events up, and sometimes welcome guests attending the events. In the future, I will likely be doing similar work with other teams.

I also speak to my managers sometimes and ask if there is any outstanding work they could use a hand with- as is my role as a support assistant apprentice.

What are you responsible for at work?

Primarily finance, anything else is secondary. My main role is setting up projects on the finance system Sage, raising invoices through the University system Aptos, and then adding the details of the invoices and calculators onto the Finance Spreadsheet for the reference of myself and others.

I work in admin support also, so I often will check the statuses of various projects, and notify my team members if projects have passed their end dates, and in turn they will let me know the next course of action.

What is the best thing about being an apprentice?

In one word; opportunities. I left school with only one A-Level, but after completing 18 months of paid work, I will also obtain a foundation degree level qualification after I complete my level 4 in business administration. After that, I could go on to university to study for an undergraduate degree, which was not a viable option for me before. I also have the opportunity to stay on and study for a level 6 Apprenticeship in Applied Business whilst enjoying quite a large pay increase, if all goes well.

To have the opportunity to earn whilst I learn, whilst working in a job I love is all I could really ask for. If it was not for this apprenticeship, I likely would have not been able to start working here, or in other places with similar opportunities. Apprenticeships are a great way to show that “yes; you can do it.”

What would you advise someone considering an apprenticeship?

Be prepared to work harder than you ever have before. Apprentices will often have multiple irons in the fire. Often they study and work at the same time, amongst other things. It may take you a while to become adjusted, like me. Flexibility is key- I would advise you to be prepared to work on anything within the workplace. Given a lot of apprentices work in a support/administrator type of role, your job role may be fairly fluid. Perhaps in time you will settle into a more structured and regular routine.

Ensure you conduct your research with regards to the job role. For the apprenticeship I applied for; the job criteria was very diverse. Given all of the preparation that goes into hiring an apprentice, it would be unfortunate for all parties involved if you were to begin the job and decide that it is not for you.

Apprenticeships are arguably the fastest way to learn skills in a given period of time. For that reason, you will sometimes be expected to pick things up quickly. However, this is not always the case, and I would advise you not to be discouraged by this prospect. In my experience, employers and managers are very pleased to have apprentices in their organisation, and will be patient when they need to be. Don’t worry if you don’t pick something up as quickly as you would like. I was slow to grasp finance work, but that became my strength. I stuck with it, and learnt from my mistakes. I asked questions about everything. I discovered all of the intricacies involved and now I have become very efficient and reliable in my finance role.

If you are on the fence considering an apprenticeship, unless you really struggle with hard work, I’d definitely say go for it. Do not be discouraged if you are unsuccessful in some applications. All this means is that you are not the specific person they are looking for, and that is no issue. It saves you hassle in some ways, as now you can go out and find the job that is right for you. Try your best to learn as to why you were unsuccessful. Don’t be afraid to ask the organisations for feedback- in most cases they will be happy to give it and actually it will probably quite impress them. Note down what you can improve upon for the next time. That will turn every “failed application” into a success; if you learn from your mistakes, you will improve after each interview you give or application you make. The opportunities within apprenticeships are plentiful, and you will meet a number of great people you wouldn’t have otherwise. The experience is unique, and fantastic- quite honestly.

How would you describe yourself?

Enthusiastic, hard-working, flexible, innovative, social. Work personality tests conducted at the University suggested I was a helper-supporter. I enjoy the company of others, and I like to learn from others- listening is a strong suit, as is attention to detail.